Skid (sk?d), n. [abbr. E. script kiddie a juvenile cracker, ME. skydde, s'kydde; cf. also E. skidmark a shitstain.]

A script kiddie; a usu. young perpetrator of amateurish computer crime.

The larval cracker, the skid or skiddie, may be distinguished from the imago state by its lesser skill, its short attention span, and its lower body weight. The skid attaches itself parasitically to a network and draws sustenance therefrom at the expense of the human, esp. the sysadmin kind.

I am no vain and artless skid,
In AIM or newsgroup bred.
Shak.

Skid mark or skidmark, the trail or spoor of a skid. E.g. Web site vandalism, rootkits, warez.


Skid, v.

To perpetrate the characteristic acts of a skid; to crack easy targets and without thought.

Whaen skydde skyddyth, wolde that an ars hoyle schytyth.
Anon.

This has been a Webster 1913 parody.

Skid (skid), n. [Icel. skIð a billet of wood. See Shide.] [Written also skeed.]

1.

A shoe or clog, as of iron, attached to a chain, and placed under the wheel of a wagon to prevent its turning when descending a steep hill; a drag; a skidpan; also, by extension, a hook attached to a chain, and used for the same purpose.

2.

A piece of timber used as a support, or to receive pressure. Specifically:

(a) pl. (Naut.)

Large fenders hung over a vessel's side to protect it in handling a cargo. Totten.

(b)

One of a pair of timbers or bars, usually arranged so as to form an inclined plane, as form a wagon to a door, along which anything is moved by sliding or rolling.

(c)

One of a pair of horizontal rails or timbers for supporting anything, as a boat, a barrel, etc.

 

© Webster 1913


Skid, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Skidded (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Skidding.]

1.

To protect or support with a skid or skids; also, to cause to move on skids.

2.

To check with a skid, as wagon wheels. Dickens.

 

© Webster 1913


Skid (?), n.

1. (Aëronautics)

A runner (one or two) under some flying machines, used for landing.

2. [From the v.]

Act of skidding; -- called also side slip.

 

© Webster 1913


Skid, v. i.

1.

To slide without rotating; -- said of a wheel held from turning while the vehicle moves onward.

2.

To fail to grip the roadway; specif., to slip sideways on the road; to side-slip; -- said esp. of a cycle or automobile.

 

© Webster 1913


Skid, v. t. (Forestry)

To haul (logs) to a skid and load on a skidway.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.