An inflammation or swelling of the sinuses. Chronic sinusitis lasts from several weeks to several months. Symptoms include a runny nose or rhinitis, a persistant cough that can worsen at night and pain in the face, head or neck due to swelling.

Sinusitis can be caused by infections, allergies or medications. It can occur as a result of changes in temperature, air pressure and irritants in the air. High humidity can also be a factor. A cold or overusing decongestant nasal sprays, smoking, or swimming and diving may also increase your risk. Nasal polyps and other problems with the sinuses also increase your chance of getting sinusitis.

There are various ways to treat and otherwise alleviate sinus pains. They include:

If left untreated, sinusitis can also lead to other health problems. If you have a chronic condition that is painful it can lead to increased stress and higher blood pressure. Mucous can also build up and lead to a condition of postnasal drip which can irritate the throat and cause coughing. If untreated this may also lead to infection which could also spread. Also, in some cases, the swelling can spread, eventually affecting the membranes throughout the face, including ear and jaw. In rare cases, acute sinusitis can result in brain infection or other serious complications.

It is estimated that 37 million Americans suffer from sinusitis each year. Over 33 million cases are reported by health officials annually.

To the above suggested treatments for sinusitis, the following should be added:
  • Nasal steroids: These decrease the swelling of the nasal turbinates and sinuses that cause the blockage. They work best if an allergic response was the cause of the swelling, but they can help some in most cases.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.