Phrase in use by activists warning against the ramifications of remaining quiet (most frequently out of shame or fear) in the face of social problems whose conditions could be greatly ameliorated (and would only begin to be) by an increased willingness to discuss the topic in public forums and the subsequent revelation that despite the fact that it's not considered generally appropriate to talk about, one is far from alone in experiencing the problems.

Though it's been primarily used by proponents of uncloseted homosexuality such as ACT-UP (hearkening to the individual who may be literally dying of AIDS, unwilling to seek treatment for fear of being outed as a sufferer of a "gay" disease), it's no less applicable to domestic violence and the children who keep "falling down the stairs", illegal abortions called "vacations in Sweden", and other such ugly conditions that thrive only in unseen (or willingly ignored / unrecognized) environments.

...

Somewhat trivializingly, I've also employed this phrase as the name of my weekend sound track playlist, employing the conceit in my personal language of symbols that as the insensate silence of sleep is equivalent to the presumed senselessness of death, it is only assisted by technology, through the desperate and futile blasting of music and gropings for nostalgia and the obscure that I might stay awake burning into the night and remain alive a few hours more before sinking into that oblivion which comes for us all. Strangely, it never occurs to me that through reliance on other humans rather than my machines I might more successfully stave away the fate lying before me, or worse yet - come to accept it.

I will be playing you sounds you have never heard before, sounds you had heard but never in these forms, and sounds you once had heard but forgot. (Probably also some you will wish afterwards you never had heard.) Upon the conclusion of the set it will be as a mist descending upon your addled mind, and in rest from the nightly desperation and struggle that is eternally mine, you will arise having forgotten everything you experienced the previous night, with only vague aches, pains and feelings of discontentment to tell you that anything had ever elapsed. Maybe it was all that last slice of pizza around midnight...

My three ~hourlong playlists are modelled after Jean Baudrillard's Three Stages of Simulation.
For full effect, dress your WinAmp like mine and set your stereo to disco settings - bass + treble up, midrange down.
Much of this music may be difficult for the average music pirate, constrained to filenames and ID3 tags, to find. If something here gets your groove on and you want to hear more like it, drop me a line and I can point you to .MOD and .SID music so oldschool your ears will be bleeding. Best of all, they're free free free! (and quite small, to boot!)

continuing on from Electricsound's earlier playlist, would you like to dance?...
2:00 am: Utopian Removal from the Imaginary

1. Medley of themes played during the end credits of the movie Tron, by Wendy Carlos. (5:09) - An ending is an excellent place to begin, for any conclusion is the start of something else.
2. "14 Zero Zero" (C64 mix), by Console, from the album Rocket in the Pocket. (4:02)
3. "Are You Gonna Go My Way?", played by the Moog Cookbook in emulation of Lenny Kravitz, from their self-titled album. (3:35)
4. Theme from A Shot in the Dark by Henry Mancini, as covered by John Zorn's Naked City, from their self-titled album. (3:35)
5. "Guru Kink", by Foolish Bird, from the Mistigris August 1996 artpack. (7:41)
6. Le Hammond Inferno's "Move your MP3 (Legendary Disco Allstars mix)" by Fantastic Plastic Machine. (7:31) - This part of the weekend is about the time you'd be getting back in from a club. Perhaps if I keep blasting this "dance" music the young people keep talking about you might mistake me for the sort of person who might be found to take part in such activities too. This impression won't last for long.
7. "Mutant Slut Claw Circle"*, by Circus Freak, from the Mistigris / Fire "Radiance" music disk release May 1997. (2:06)
8. Commando theme by Rob Hubbard, remixed by Instant Remedy. (4:39)
9. "Night of the Living Hoovers" (better late than chia mix), by JaZz of euphoniX, remixed by Sidewinder. (6:27)
10. "La Marquise", by Guesch Patti and Dimitri Tikovoi, from the soundtrack to The Pillow Book. (3:38)
11. Ilwrath theme* from Star Control 2, by Dan Nicholson. (2:25)
12. Theme music from Skate or Die, by Rob Hubbard. (1:18)

3:00 am: Sci Fi's Approach to the Imaginary

Be warned: this cluster (notably 13 through 16) is on the far end of even my listening spectrum and if you intend to listen to the end of my slot - which I encourage even to the omission of this chunk of it - the time might be better spent making a bathroom run or recaffeinating yourself. If you do manage to receive unobstructed listening enjoyment from this segment, congratulations - you're made of sterner stuff than I.
13. Frank Zappa playing the Bicycle on the Steve Allen show, March 14, 1963. (11:04)
14. "Live from the Sierra Lounge." (5:50)
15. "Day of the Sound FX", by Trapezoid, completely made using only samples from Day of the Tentacle. (2:41)
16. "Sex Aroused Book People Club"; Phairgirl and her sister goofing off with a tape recorder one afternoon in '93. (3:36) - does this constitute child pornography?
17. "pornography", read by Dr. SBaitso. No, really - that's it! (0:01)
18. "The Butcher", by a very young Leonard Cohen, from Songs from a Room. (3:17)
19. "limbs in crusher", from a sound effects CD. In truth, it sounds more like someone stomping on cardboard boxes to me. (0:18)**
20. "trk-38.0.5", by antiorp (kr0p3r0m), from the album a9ff. (or is that the other way around?) (4:29)
21. "Swan's Splashdown", by Perrey + Kingsley, covering Tchaikovsky's score to Swan Lake. From the album The In Sound From Way Out!. (2:20)
22. "0000", by antiorp, presumably from a9ff. (0:34)
23. "Monkey Kombat", Ben Whatsisname's Monkey Island-styled remix of THe iMMoRTaLS(aka the Lords of Acid)'s theme to Mortal Kombat. (3:12)
24. Main theme from Alley Cat, by Bill Williams. (0:47)
25. "I'd Better Not", by Mitchell Froom, featuring Louie Perez, from Dopamine. (3:09)
26. Remix of Smile.dk's "Butterfly" by DJ Clayduck. (2:59)
27. "Energizer", by Psidream of Rebound. (7:25)
28. "Clotho" theme from Columns. (3:10)
29. "Drowning in Your Love", by Acidfrog. (4:24)
30 Theme from level 2 of Marble Madness, by Mark Cerny. (0:58) - MIDI, need assistance with MP3 conversion
31. "Beyond", by Quip, from the (unreleased) Mistigris Music Disk. (5:04)
32. Remix of Danielle Bunten Berry's theme from M.U.L.E., by Seth. (2:13)

4:00 am: Reality = Imaginary

33. Juxtsuppose collage on television. (1:15)
34. "N30", recorded by Christopher DeLaurenti at the Battle of Seattle. (22:31)
35. "A Warm Place", by Nine Inch Nails, from the Downward Spiral. (3:22)
36. "Decline", by the Tiger Lillies, from Brothel to the Cemetary. (2:32)
37. "otesnpyneneidells", by fingers of euphoniX. (5:07)
38. "Tango", by Goran Bregovic, from Underground. (3:58)
39. "Waitin' for a Superman", by the Flaming Lips, from The Soft Bulletin. (4:17)
40. "goodbye", by u4ia of megawatts. (8:11)
41. "pure white light", by, uh, me. (3:46)
42. "Cerises pour un diner a deux", by Angelo Badalamenti, from the City of Lost Children soundtrack. (3:19)
43. "good night", by Onyx of Mistigris. (2:21)
44. vocal sample from Max Headroom. (0:06) - wonky WAV, need assistance with MP3 conversion

= 3:00:00, bringing us to 5:00 am and continuing on to the gilded frame's dream generator...
(I can assure you, no one makes as much out of their insomnia as I.)

For one last opportunity to witness my master mixery, check out "Takeoff?" he said. "Can we handle that much torque?" later tonight.

P.S., I was bullshitting you with the Baudrillard stuff, but they do make good section titles, don't they?


P.P.S. - for my fellow pedants out there, you may have noticed that we're missing 12 seconds - these are made up for with four special and secret section dividers of three seconds each. Cheers!

* These songs have been slightly massaged from their original versions to assist in meeting running time requirements.

** Track 19 has been replaced with some .WAV samples scattered throughout due to playtime inconsistancies. Unfortunately, I'm not together enough to remember where the substitutions were made, so you'll have to accept a few surprises during the ordeal.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.