Sex Mob is a neo-modern jam/jazz band from New York City, along the lines of Medeski Martin and Wood, Zony Mash, etc..

Sex Mob go way the heck beyond the be-bop at their core and way up into funk, punk and pop, as one look at their songbook will confirm: Nirvana, Prince, Grateful Dead, James Brown, Los Del Rio, Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, the Cardigans.

Weekly late-night stands at New York's Tonic club have honed the group's sound to a sharp edge.

"The songs we play take shape as the audience reacts to them," Bernstein explains. "All the extreme dynamics in some of our favorites, like 'About A Girl' and 'Fernando,' come from playing those songs in front of wild audiences."

"We follow an arc as opposed to a set list. Our audience knows what to expect -that they'll always get the unexpected."

"Jazz used to be popular music," states Sex Mob figurehead and slide trumpet genius Steven Bernstein. "People would go out to clubs, listen to the music, dance, drink, have a hell of a lot of fun, and then go home and get laid. Simple as that. We're bringing that spirit back."

Bernstein sums it up: "People come back to see us because they get something rarefied, that they can't get anywhere else. Even the young Hollywood types show up. Everyone wants to experience something REAL."

briggan krauss - alto sax
kenny wollesen - drums
tony scherr bass
steven bernstein - trumpet

quotes taken from sexmob.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.