I was a confused kid. Growing up I had a lot of questions and not many answers.

  1. Is there a god?
  2. Why are we here?
  3. If space-time isn't infinite, how and why does it stop?
  4. Why is a grandstand called a grandstand when you sit down?
  5. How do they make seedless grapes?

5 very profound questions. 0 answers.

Luckily, the other day I found out the answer to one of them. According to a complete stranger I met on a mailing list about clubs they spray the grape plants with a special enzyme which does something to them to stop the production of seeds.

My life is now 20% complete.


And now thanks to eponymous, I find even that was a lie. Damn.
WRONG

Seedless grapes are produced by grafting. The seedless vines are attached to established vines of seeded varieties. My childhood neighbor had Thompson seedless grapes in his back yard. As the vines grew untended, the muscat vines at the base of the plants started to produce large, sweet, seeded grapes.

The grapes you buy in the store are, however, treated with growth hormones. Without the chemicals they are the size of large peas, but with the same amount of sweetness and flavor -- just less water.


However, MrTunney, you now know the truth. So yes, indeed, you do have that 20%!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.