In securities markets, the right to trade on an exchange. If a broker or dealer has the right to post bids on the NASDAQ, they are said to have a seat on NASDAQ.

Spanish car manufacturer, originally set up to produce copies of Fiat models under licence for the national market, and now part of the Volkswagen group producing standard euro-boxes which are mainly distributed within Western Europe.

Current models include

A seat is the name given to the position a M.P. holds in the House of Commons in the U.K.. There are 659 constituencies in the U.K. so their are 659 seats to be filled by M.P.s (as of June 2001 elections)
There are 529 seats from England, 72 from Scotland, 40 from Wales and 18 from Northern Ireland.

There is one seat per constituency and only one M.P. can hold one seat. These seats don't all literally exist since there are a lot more constituencies/seats than there is room in the House of Commons. When all the M.P.s squeeze into the Commons they have to stand in the aisles etc. since there aren't enough benches to go round.

e.g. in an election the Conservatives may win a certain number of seats.

Seat (?), n. [OE. sete, Icel. saeti; akin to Sw. sate, Dan. saede, MHG. s&amac;ze, AS. set, setl, and E. sit. &root;154. See Sit, and cf. Settle, n.]

1.

The place or thing upon which one sits; hence; anything made to be sat in or upon, as a chair, bench, stool, saddle, or the like.

And Jesus . . . overthrew the tables of the money changers, and the seats of them that sold doves. Matt. xxi. 12.

2.

The place occupied by anything, or where any person or thing is situated, resides, or abides; a site; an abode, a station; a post; a situation.

Where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is. Rev. ii. 13.

He that builds a fair house upon an ill seat committeth himself to prison. Bacon.

A seat of plenty, content, and tranquillity. Macaulay.

3.

That part of a thing on which a person sits; as, the seat of a chair or saddle; the seat of a pair of pantaloons.

4.

A sitting; a right to sit; regular or appropriate place of sitting; as, a seat in a church; a seat for the season in the opera house.

5.

Posture, or way of sitting, on horseback.

She had so good a seat and hand she might be trusted with any mount. G. Eliot.

6. Mach.

A part or surface on which another part or surface rests; as, a valve seat.

Seat worm Zool., the pinworm.

 

© Webster 1913.


Seat, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Seated; p. pr. & vb. n. Seating.]

1.

To place on a seat; to cause to sit down; as, to seat one's self.

The guests were no sooner seated but they entered into a warm debate. Arbuthnot.

2.

To cause to occupy a post, site, situation, or the like; to station; to establish; to fix; to settle.

Thus high . . . is King Richard seated. Shak.

They had seated themselves in New Guiana. Sir W. Raleigh.

3.

To assign a seat to, or the seats of; to give a sitting to; as, to seat a church, or persons in a church.

4.

To fix; to set firm.

From their foundations, loosening to and fro, They plucked the seated hills. Milton.

5.

To settle; to plant with inhabitants; as to seat a country.

[Obs.]

W. Stith.

6.

To put a seat or bottom in; as, to seat a chair.

 

© Webster 1913.


Seat, v. i.

To rest; to lie down.

[Obs.]

Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.