A sandgroper looks like a kind of wormy grub with legs. It belongs to its own family, cylindrachetids, which is believed to be descended from grasshoppers.

Picture the front half of a mole, including the two front paws, made out of the carapace of a scorpion. Where the back legs of this mole would be, the body instead pinches inwards a bit, and two sets of stubby jointed insect legs are attached. Behind these legs, the body flares out again into a long segmented carapace tail like a mealworm larva. The tail is about two thirds of the whole body. There are no wings at any stage of development.

A sandgroper lives its entire life underground, swimming through the earth with its powerful front legs. It likes sandy or sandy loam areas, and tends to stay at a depth which is damp and cool. During dry summer, a sandgroper can be found at a depth of up to 1.9 metres deep, and in the cooler months or after rain it can be found up high near the surface. A sandgroper travelling just beneath the surface will leave behind a long raised trail on the surface, similar to the "worm sign" in the movie Dune.

A sandgroper is also a nickname for a Western Australian person that has been used for over a hundred years, although I was a teenager before I heard of it for the first time. The National Library of Australia has a newspaper article dating back to 1896 which uses this nickname. 6 of the known 14 sandgroper species are from Western Australia, with 2 of them specifically inhabiting the Perth region.

 


Western Australian Museum article

Wiki provided the link to the article in the National Library of Australia

ABC local news article

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.