In music, a sample is a short bit of sound, usually from a song recorded by someone other than the sampler or something like a sound effect that you wouldn't normally assume was musical. Samples are usually associated with DJs like DJ Shadow.

A sample is a recorded sound used by producers to replicate real intruments or create new nonexistent sounds. Most samples are played back with and recorded by samplers. A .wav file can be used as a sample and sequenced in a .wav sequencer, such as Cubase or an audio tracker.

Akin to the 'small piece of a larger entity' definition is the statistical definition, in which a sample is a subset of items drawn from the (theoretically infinite) population of all items. According to the law of large numbers, the larger your sample, the more accurately it reflects the population. Statistics includes a number of tools for determining the likelihood that two different samples come from the same population, including the t-test and the ANOVA.

SAMPLE is a acronym used in medicine to assess a patient. It stands for:
Signs & Symptoms
Allergies
Medications
Pertinent Past History
Last Oral Intake
Event leading to injury or illness.

This is used on an aware conscious patient. If the patient is unconscious, a SAMPLE history may be collected from medical alert bracelet, friends and family, or a bystander who may have information.

Sam"ple (?), n. [OE. sample, asaumple, OF. essample, example, fr. L. exemplum. See Example, and cf. Ensample, Sampler.]

1.

Example; pattern.

[Obs.] Spenser. "A sample to the youngest." Shak.

Thus he concludes, and every hardy knight His sample followed. Fairfax.

2.

A part of anything presented for inspection, or shown as evidence of the quality of the whole; a specimen; as, goods are often purchased by samples.

I design this but for a sample of what I hope more fully to discuss. Woodward.

Syn. -- Specimen; example. See Specimen.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sam"ple, v. t.

1.

To make or show something similar to; to match.

Bp. Hall.

2.

To take or to test a sample or samples of; as, to sample sugar, teas, wools, cloth.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.