(rush our) n.

a time during the day when there is congested traffic. this may be either pedestrian or vehicle density. often this state of frenzy hits cities during peak hours of mobility, i.e. when most people are going to, or leaving work places.

some believe that this is due to the fact that people fear loneliness and wish to work at times in the company of people.

the practical reasons would be for: effective communication and set work hours for negotiations and securing business transactions. ironically, with the innovation of technologies, static work hours are technically no longer a necessity.

for yet others, static work hours may also be to share the suffering of job dissatisfaction. in order to vent or have cooperative pain. such anxieties coupled with transportation delays, have brought forth such things as: traffic shootings, domestic violence and escapism as popular ways of coping with this situation within man's organized settlement.

Moderately entertaining film, mostly because Jackie Chan pulls off the fish out of water role perfectly, and Chris Tucker does what he does best, be annoying. The thing that left a real sour taste w/r/t the movie was that all characters were propelled entirely by ego; I don’t like egotistical characters. That’s just me, though. It is just an action film.

The action sequences are great fun, though. It made me want to beat up people and start taking some martial arts again, so . . . it was cool.

Of course, a sequel is in production

Directed by
Brett Ratner

Writing credits
Ross LaManna, Jim Kouf

Genre: Action / Comedy

Tagline: Pals Forever. If they can get past today. (more)

Plot Outline: Two cops team up to get back a kidnapped daughter.

Major Cast:
Ken Leung: Sang
Jackie Chan: Detective Inspector Lee
Tom Wilkinson Thomas Griffin/Juntao
Tzi Ma: Consul Han
Julia Hsu: Soo Yung
Chris Tucker: Det. James Carter, LAPD
and the unforgettable
Robert Littman: First Caucasian

PG-13 (Violence, Language)
Language: Cantonese / English
Atari 2600 Game
Produced by:CommaVid
Model Number:n/a
Year of Release:1983
Rarity:Prototype

This game was a prototype Atari 2600 game by CommaVid that was never released. There are a few copies of it floating around, but not many.

Various sources claim that this game is either similar to Night Driver or to Frogger. If you have this game please set the record straight.

Prototype games like Rush Hour are the Holy Grail as far as rare Atari Games go. Nothing is harder to find than these. The value of this prototype is unknown.

The ROM from this game has not yet been dumped, so you cannot play this game with an emulator. If you own a copy of this game please get in contact with someone in the Atari emulation world so that your copy can be dumped, so this rare game can be preserved for the future.

Rush Hour is a logic game produced by ThinkFun (formerly Binary Arts) that is suitable from about age 6 to adult. It is a one person game.

The game consists of a 6x6 grid of squares, with an exit 2/3 of the way up the right hand side. The whole board is about 6 inches square. The playing pieces are of two types - cars (of size 1x2 squares) and lorries (of size 1x3 squares). One of the cars is "you" (coloured red) and the 11 other cars, together with the 4 lorries, are the traffic jam. The aim? Simple. Find your way out of the traffic.

The game comes with 40 puzzles in four levels of difficulty. Each puzzle is a starting arrangement of the cars and lorries (including your car), and you have to move your car to the exit. All the pieces can only move sideways, or up and down, on the grid, depending on their initial orientation. Cars and lorries can't fly over each other! And by moving your car and the blocking cars and lorries, you have to clear a way for your car to exit.

Let's do an example.

+----+----+----+----+----+----+
|222222222|    |    |    | 66 |
|222222222|    |    |    | 66 |
+----+----+----+----+----+-66-+
| 33 |    |    | 55 |    | 66 |
| 33 |    |    | 55 |    | 66 |
+-33-+----+----+-55-+----+-66-+--
| 33 |111111111| 55 |    | 66      The
| 33 |111111111| 55 |    | 66      Exit
+-33-+----+----+-55-+----+----+--
| 33 |    |    | 55 |    |    |
| 33 |    |    | 55 |    |    |
+----+----+----+----+----+----+
| 44 |    |    |    |777777777|
| 44 |    |    |    |777777777|
+-44------+----+----+----+----+
| 44 |    |88888888888888|    |
| 44 |    |88888888888888|    |
+----+----+----+----+----+----+

OK, so it's not that clear... but it's the best I can do with ASCII art. 1 is your car - you have to exit the grid. At the moment, you can't move at all as you are blocked in by the other cars and lorries (2, 4 and 7 are 2 squares long and are therefore cars, 3, 5, 6 and 8 are all lorries.) So, the following are the potential first moves.

  • Move 2 1, 2 or 3 squares right.
  • Move 5 1 square up or down.
  • Move 6 1 square down.
  • Move 7 1, 2 or 3 squares left.
  • Move 8 1 square left or right.

The actual sequence of moves for this game is as follows.

  1. 2 right 3
  2. 3 up 1
  3. 4 up 1
  4. 8 left 2
  5. 7 left 3
  6. 5 down 2
  7. 6 down 3
  8. 1 right 4 to the exit

The final layout is like this.

+----+----+----+----+----+----+
| 33 |    |222222222|    |    |
| 33 |    |222222222|    |    |
+-33-+----+----+----+----+----+
| 33 |    |    |    |    |    |
| 33 |    |    |    |    |    |
+-33-+----+----+----+----+----+--
| 33 |    |    |    |    | 111111111 The
| 33 |    |    |    |    | 111111111 Exit
+----+----+----+----+----+----+--
| 44 |    |    | 55 |    | 66 |
| 44 |    |    | 55 |    | 66 |
+-44-+----+----+-55-+----+-66-+
| 44 |777777777| 55 |    | 66 |
| 44 |777777777| 55 |    | 66 |
+---------+----+-55-+----+-66-+
| 8888888888888| 55 |    | 66 |
| 8888888888888| 55 |    | 66 |
+----+----+----+----+----+----+

This is quite a simple puzzle, requiring only 8 moves. The later ones may have only 5 or 6 unoccupied squares on the board, and have over 40 moves, with you often appearing to make matters worse before making them better.

And when you have finished all the 40 supplied cards, there's another 40. The first 30 of these are the same level as the last 30 of the original cards, and then there's 10 more "impossible" ones (which are possible, just!) To make things more interesting, there's a new piece as well - a white limousine which is the same size as a lorry. Sometimes it's a blocking piece, and sometimes it's "you".

This game is incredibly simple in concept, but provides a serious challenge for people of any age.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.