An excellent movie from director Robert Zemeckis about a woman who writes romance novels (played beautifully by Kathleen Turner). She takes a trip to Colombia to rescue her sister from some kidnappers. The kidnappers want a treasure map that she has. On her way, she is accosted by an evil badguy, saved by Michael Douglas, follows the map to find the diamond, meets some Colombian drug-lords who adore her novels, and eventually makes it back to the States. Fast-paced story and excellent acting make this a movie worth watching. Also stars Danny DeVito.

Romancing the Stone is a adventure/romance/comedy movie release in 1984. It was directed by Robert Zemeckis and was written by Diane Thomas and Lem Dobbs. The cast includes Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner, Danny DeVito, Zack Norman, Alfonso Arau, José Chávez, and many others.

She's a girl from the big city. He's a reckless soldier of fortune. For a fabulous treasure, they share an adventure no one could imagine... or survive.

Joan Wilder (Kathleen Turner) is a romance writer who one day gets a map to a jewel hidden in Colombia (the country). It turns out the map is from here sister who was kidnapped soon after sending the map. The kidnappers now want Joan to bring the map to them. Joan isn't much of an adventurer, in fact it seems she has had much excitement in her life at all. Shortly she will be actually living an adventure much like the ones she has written about in her books. Along the way Joan ends up on the wrong bus and in the middle of nowhere in the Colombia countryside. Enter Jack Colton (Michael Douglas), adventurer/soldier of fortune/low life. Jack offers to help the lost Joan. Joan and Jack are not alone in their travels. The Secret Police of Colombia know about the map and are after her to claim the treasure for themselves. The kidnappers think she has gone of to find the jewel for herself. Now Joan and Jack must find the jewel and use it to barter for her sister's life. Along the way the pair find themselves in some interesting situations, which includes a mudslide, a waterfall, a rich local that happens to be a big Joan Wilder fan (Santos and Lil' Peppe), crashed plains, busted bridges, gunfire, and more.

This is an entertaining movie. It is right along the same lines as Indiana Jones and Crocodile Dundee. The plot is a little simple and the jokes are sometimes poor, but as a whole it is a good movie. It is a little dated now, but back when it came out it was probably a great date movie because it has something for everybody.

This movie was followed by The Jewel of the Nile.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.