A condition where the uterus leans away from the skin of the belly rather than toward it, experienced by between 15% and 30% of women. It is also known as tipped or tilted uterus.
A clear illustration of the positions of anteverted and retroverted uteri can be found at http://www.womens-health.co.uk/retrover.htm

Most cases of retroverted uterus are congenital, but a few cases begin during the labour of childbirth. A doctor can check to see whether you have a retroverted uterus during your routine pap smear test. (You do have your pap smear every two years, don't you?)

Usually having a retroverted uterus causes a woman no problems, but some women with this condition experience dyspareunia (pain on intercourse) when the penis hits the cervix or even the uterus. A few women suffer dysmenorrhea (pain on menstruation) and even infertility as a result of this condition.

While most cases of retroverted uterus cause their owners no problems, in some cases it is wise to attempt to reposition the uterus into a more normal position. 
Sometimes your doctor will be able to reposition the uterus manually. If this is the case, exercises which involve lifting the knees to the chest can be effective in encouraging the uterus to stay in the anteverted position. When the doctor is unable to position the uterus manually he or she may place a silicone or plastic pessary deeply inside the vagina to reposition a retroverted uterus. This may be temporary or permanent, but long term use has been linked to ulceration, inflammation and other complications. If neither of these non-surgical procedures work, your doctor will probably suggest surgery to correct the position of your uterus.


Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.