Re*tire" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Retired (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Retiring.] [F. retirer; pref. re- re- + tirer to draw. See Tirade.]

1.

To withdraw; to take away; -- sometimes used reflexively.

He . . . retired himself, his wife, and children into a forest. Sir P. Sidney.

As when the sun is present all the year, And never doth retire his golden ray. Sir J. Davies.

2.

To withdraw from circulation, or from the market; to take up and pay; as, to retire bonds; to retire a note.

3.

To cause to retire; specifically, to designate as no longer qualified for active service; to place on the retired list; as, to retire a military or naval officer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*tire" (?), v. i.

1.

To go back or return; to draw back or away; to keep aloof; to withdraw or retreat, as from observation; to go into privacy; as, to retire to his home; to retire from the world, or from notice.

To Una back he cast him to retire. Spenser.

The mind contracts herself, and shrinketh in, And to herself she gladly doth retire. Sir J. Davies.

2.

To retreat from action or danger; to withdraw for safety or pleasure; as, to retire from battle.

Set Uriah in the forefront of the hottest battle, and retire ye from him, that he may be smitten, and die. 2 Sam. xi. 15.

3.

To withdraw from a public station, or from business; as, having made a large fortune, he retired.

And from Britannia's public posts retire. Addison.

4.

To recede; to fall or bend back; as, the shore of the sea retires in bays and gulfs.

5.

To go to bed; as, he usually retires early.

Syn. -- To withdraw; leave; depart; secede; recede; retreat; retrocede.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*tire", n.

1.

The act of retiring, or the state of being retired; also, a place to which one retires.

[Obs.]

The battle and the retire of the English succors. Bacon.

[Eve] discover'd soon the place of her retire. Milton.

2. Mil.

A call sounded on a bugle, announcing to skirmishers that they are to retire, or fall back.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.