An employee of a university whose ostensible purpose is to be a parent figure to a floor of building of coeds living in a dormitory or residence hall. Usually an RA gets free room and board in exchange for preserving order and being a person students can go to when they have problems.

It's possible that sometimes an RA is using his or her social status to seduce younger coeds, but such rumors are completely unsubstantiated.

The true working drones of the collegiate system. They are overworked, underpaid, and often used as targets for random attacks of anger or hatred. Y'know, the whole "authority" thing ...

As for underpaid ... even though free room and board seems like a pretty sweet deal to the poor minions of the residence hall life, in actually, even that pay is pathetic compared to the number of hours worked.

For example, I had a friend who was an RA - she got room and board paid for one year (about $4000) and a small reimbursement (about $300 per semester). Doesn't sound bad, huh? But she also had to be on duty something like 24 hours a week, plus off-duty, on call duty for around 30 hours. She ended up making about $.10 an hour, if I remember correctly.

Not a horrible job, but it people are going into it for the perks, they will instead find themselves cleaning up freshman hall vomit at 3 a.m. every Saturday and constantly remembering that there are slave labor wages that pay more than this.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.