Replacement sectors are used by hard drive manufacturers to compensate for errors in the manufacturing process.

Before a modern hard drive leaves the factory, it is low level formatted*, this does a number of things, including prepare the disk to be used with a certain disk controller. During this low level format, there are always some bad sectors detected. To prevent selling disks that have a bizzare, lower than advertised capacity, manufacturers always make their disks with extra sectors. These extra sectors are logically inserted in place of the bad sectors, to bring the disk up to the required capacity.

There is not really anything the average computer user can do to remap these sectors without specific software from the manufacturer, and there is really no reason to do so. If bad sectors start showing up to the extent that they are interfering with the use of a drive, it is probably time to back up the data and move it to a new drive.
*ST506 and ESDI drives had to be low level formatted by the user, but they are no longer used, having been displaced by IDE and SCSI.

The fact that the replacement sectors are transparent to the programmer of a hard disk driver causes interesting challenges when optimising hard disk performance. To see why, observe the following:

A hard disk usually consists of several magnetic platters, which can be written and read on both sides. Each platter contains many concentric rings of data, all in differerent sizes, which are called tracks. The collection of all equally sized tracks that lie above one another on different disk surfaces is called a cylinder. Finally, all the disks are 'divided' much like a pizza or a pie by imaginary lines. One slice of the pie is called a sector.

This terminology enables us to find specific pieces of data on the disk.The data is written in such a way that each sector of each track on each platter contains exactly the same amount of data. This means, of course, that the data near the center of the platter is written in a much smaller space than the data at the edge, since the arc from the track that lies within one sector is much smaller there. Together, the concepts of track, sector and platter enable us to identify unique pieces of data of some atomic size, since all arcs contain the same amount of data. This amount is called a block. Blocks are the smallest unit that can be written to, or read from, disk.

When a specific block needs to be accessed, there are three phases the disk needs to go through. Each of these phases is NOT transparent to the programmer of the disk driver! The driver programmer must explicitly direct the head to a track and a sector, facing her or him with some interesting design challenges, as we will see below.

First, the read head must be directed to the right track. This is called a seek. This is by far the slowest and most time consuming activity. Second, the head needs to wait until the proper part of the disk, containing the desired sector, spins under the disk head. The time that passes in this phase is called the rotational delay. It is on average half of the full rotation time of the disk, but much faster than the seek time. Finally, the data can be read to an internal buffer, and then transported to main memory so the processor can access it. The disk will issue an interrupt when it is ready. The read time is exactly the time it takes to spin one sector under the head.

A disk driver usually receives several requests for data blocks at a time. Which should it service first? Well, First Come First Serve seems the most fair, but it is very unwise. Remember that a seek takes the most time? It makes more sense to pick those blocks that have the shortest seek time (are closest to the current position), since that will greatly reduce the overall response time for all users. This is called Shortest Seek First. Unfortunately, this is not very practical. It is likely that the read head will spend its days in the middle of the disk, while blocks on the edges rarely get a chance to be serviced (think about it!). Practically, it is most feasible to just have the head sweep from one edge to another and then back again, picking up blocks along the way and turning at the most extreme request point. This is called the Elevator Algorithm (for fairly obvious reasons). The moral of this story is: disk efficiency is very dependent on the disk seeking algorithm used by the programmer of your driver.

The problem with modern disk controllers and clever optimisation of seek times is this: what if a disk block is damaged and the IDE controller secretly uses some spare block on a spare track? Well, since the actual physical location of the block can no longer be seen by the driver programmer, this wreaks havoc with our clever seek optimisation algorithms! Is there something that can be done about this you ask? No!

Footnote: modern disks sometimes have more sectors in the outer tracks, to make better use of the available space. This makes the problem even worse, because the IDE controllers hide this information from the driver programmer. To the programmer, the disk will appear as a normal disk with conventional sectors, tracks and cylinders. The driver programmer has no way of knowing the actual physical location of blocks on the disk.

I'd like to thank the above authors for their descriptions of replacement sectors, and for inspiring me to explain it further...

Typically, the manufacturer of a disk allocates a number of replacement sectors on each track (and a few replacement tracks) in the hopes that when a bad sector is found, a near by replacement sector can be used instead to "repair" it.

Despite claims of the above writeups, it is possible and useful for a user to affect replacement sector use on a modern disk. This can be done either by triggering the drive's low level format mechanism, or by using manufacturer supplied repair utilities.

If a disk runs out of replacement sectors, the simplest (although most drastic) way to fix this is to low level format the disk. Typically, this involves getting a disk diagnostic utility to give the low level format command to the disk, which will cause it to scan itself for bad sectors, and then map the remaining good physical sectors into a virtual track arrangement, with enough replacement sectors in each virtual track for future needs. I have several old IDE disks I have done this to multiple times; each time I low level format it, the drive gets a little smaller. All modern hard drives use constant linear density (similar to CLV), so the mapping between track/sector numbers typically has very little to do with physical tracks and sectors (other than continuity) anyway.

The Sun Solaris format utility has provisions to change the number of reserved replacement sectors and replacement tracks during low level formatting of SCSI disks. However, I doubt many disks pay attention to this info. It probably can only really be set at the factory when the factory low level formats it, or when they write its firmware. Even so, low level formatting the disk will still redistribute the replacement sectors.

For modern disks, most disk manufacturers provide diagnostic utilities (on their web site and/or on a floppy sold with the drive) which will remap bad sectors that are not automatically remapped. These utilities typically also accesses the drive's S.M.A.R.T. data, and uses this as a first pass to guess which sectors to repair. Use of these utilities is not restricted to advanced users. Most companies typically recommend you try these utilities before RMA'ing your drive. IBM's disk warranty web page even includes instructions "written for new or inexperienced users".

A quick survey of manufacturers found references to repair software available for download from their web sites:

IBM
Drive Fitness Test, Ontrack Data Advisor
Western Digital
Data Lifeguard
Seagate
SeaTools or Ontrack Data Advisor

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.