Re*claim" (?), v. t.

To claim back; to demand the return of as a right; to attempt to recover possession of.

A tract of land [Holland] snatched from an element perpetually reclaiming its prior occupancy. W. Coxe.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*claim" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Reclaimed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Reclaiming.] [F. r'eclamer, L. reclamare, reclamatum, to cry out against; pref. re- re- + clamare to call or cry aloud. See Claim.]

1.

To call back, as a hawk to the wrist in falconry, by a certain customary call.

Chaucer.

2.

To call back from flight or disorderly action; to call to, for the purpose of subduing or quieting.

The headstrong horses hurried Octavius . . . along, and were deaf to his reclaiming them. Dryden.

3.

To reduce from a wild to a tamed state; to bring under discipline; -- said especially of birds trained for the chase, but also of other animals.

"An eagle well reclaimed."

Dryden.

4.

Hence: To reduce to a desired state by discipline, labor, cultivation, or the like; to rescue from being wild, desert, waste, submerged, or the like; as, to reclaim wild land, overflowed land, etc.

5.

To call back to rectitude from moral wandering or transgression; to draw back to correct deportment or course of life; to reform.

It is the intention of Providence, in all the various expressions of his goodness, to reclaim mankind. Rogers.

6.

To correct; to reform; -- said of things.

[Obs.]

Your error, in time reclaimed, will be venial. Sir E. Hoby.

7.

To exclaim against; to gainsay.

[Obs.]

Fuller.

Syn. -- To reform; recover; restore; amend; correct.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*claim" (?), v. i.

1.

To cry out in opposition or contradiction; to exclaim against anything; to contradict; to take exceptions.

Scripture reclaims, and the whole Catholic church reclaims, and Christian ears would not hear it. Waterland.

At a later period Grote reclaimed strongly against Mill's setting Whately above Hamilton. Bain.

2.

To bring anyone back from evil courses; to reform.

They, hardened more by what might most reclaim, Grieving to see his glory . . . took envy. Milton.

3.

To draw back; to give way.

[R. & Obs.]

Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*claim", n.

The act of reclaiming, or the state of being reclaimed; reclamation; recovery.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.