rape: to seize and take away by force; to plunder; to have carnal knowledge of a woman without the legal consent of her father, husband, or herself; seizing by force; sexual intercourse with the daughter or wife (conventionally not the son or husband) of someone else without her or his consent [from Latin, rapere, to seize]; (in contemporary usage) to be coercive sexually after a female partner has said no. Rape is not synonymous with raptophilia, the paraphilic syndrome. Rape, as in the pillage and rape of a victorious army is not the same as biastophilia or raptophilia,and is not a paraphilia;an act of rapism.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

The verb râper in french means "to grate". It is not unusual to hear francophones ask for raped cheese on their meal in a restaurant. Don't be afraid; just tell them it's grated cheese.

randomness = R = rare mode

rape vt.

1. To screw someone or something, violently; in particular, to destroy a program or information irrecoverably. Often used in describing file-system damage. "So-and-so was running a program that did absolute disk I/O and ended up raping the master directory." 2. To strip a piece of hardware for parts. 3. [CMU/Pitt] To mass-copy files from an anonymous ftp site. "Last night I raped Simtel's dskutl directory."

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Brassica napus

Also: colza, oil-seed rape.

A pale green European plant of the cabbage family (Brassicaceae), grown for feeding livestock and for its oil, as well as being a pot herb.

The plant has lobed leaves from 10 to 35cm in length, and 3 to 20cm wide, covered in scattered hairs. The stems have small, light yellow flowers, and can grow up to a metre in length. The edible parts of the plant are much like spinach. The seeds are round and 1 to 3mm in diameter.

lordaych says you might mention in "rape" that canola oil is actually rapeseed oil from canada, that has been bred to reduce its erucic acid content (a highly toxic amino acid).

Rape; an administrative division of the county of Sussex intermediate between the county and hundred, similar to the the lathe in Kent and the riding in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

Sussex was divided into six rapes as follows;

(There were originally only five with Arundel and Chichester forming the single rape, later divided sometime after the compliation of the Doomsday Book in 1086.)

Although possibly based on an earlier Anglo-Saxon administrative system the rapes were essentially inventions of the new Norman masters of England.

The distinctive feature of the rape was;
  • Each consisted of a roughly parallel strip of land running north to south between London and the channel coast.
  • Each was under the command of a single lord or tenant-in-chief who held all the land within it with the exception of lands held by the Church and the Crown (Which was distinct from other Norman lordships where land holdings were scattered all over the place.)
  • Each rape was a essentially a castlery, being governed from a prominent castle after which the rape ultimately derived its name
  • Each had its own sheriff, who answered to the lord of the rape not the Crown

The reason for the adoption of these unique administrative arrangments in Sussex was simply this; Sussex was the closest part of the English coast to Normandy and therefore each rape therefore consitituted a vital communication route between London and Rouen as well as a potential invasion route.

William I was therefore careful to ensure that each was placed under the command of a close relative or a particulary trusted follower. The initial allocation being between;

The reason for dividing the county into five (later six) routes was to ensure that no single lord controlled them all and could therefore block contact between England and Normandy.

Various suggestions have been made for the derivation of the word rape as applied to Sussex;

  • from the Icelandic word 'hreppr' for a small territorial division (apparently rejected by most authorities)
  • from the Old English 'rap', for rope, on the basis that the divisions were measured out and allocated by rope
  • from the Norman French word, 'rapiner' meaning 'to plunder', on the basis that William I systematically laid waste to much of Sussex during the early part of the conquest
  • from the Latin word 'rapum'. (Although since this seems to mean 'turnip' I'm not sure quite sure of the logic.)

SOURCES

The 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica entries for Rape and Sussex at www.1911encyclopedia.org/

Together with the following references

http://www.domesdaybook.net/hs1070.htm
http://www.castles-abbeys.co.uk/Michelham-Priory.html

Rape (r&amac;p), n. [F. rape a grape stalk.]

1.

Fruit, as grapes, plucked from the cluster.

Ray.

2.

The refuse stems and skins of grapes or raisins from which the must has been expressed in wine making.

3.

A filter containing the above refuse, used in clarifying and perfecting malt, vinegar, etc.

Rape wine, a poor, thin wine made from the last dregs of pressed grapes.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rape, n. [Akin to rap to snatch, but confused with L. rapere. See Rap to snatch.]

1.

The act of seizing and carrying away by force; violent seizure; robbery.

<-- [Rare] -->

And ruined orphans of thy rapes complain. Sandys.

2. Law

Sexual connection with a woman without her consent. See Age of consent, under Consent, n.

<-- (b) Any sexual intercourse forced on a person, whether male or female (also called forcible rape, or sexual assault, and sometimes, as a euphemism, criminal assault); Any sexual intercourse performed with a person who is under the age of consent, whether male or female, is statutory rape. -->

3.

That which is snatched away.

[Obs.]

Where now are all my hopes? O, never more. Shall they revive! nor death her rapes restore. Sandys.

4.

Movement, as in snatching; haste; hurry.

[Obs.]

<-- 5. (Fig., Colloq.) An action causing results harmful to a person or thing; as, the rape of the land by mining companies. -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Rape, v. t.

To commit rape upon; to ravish.

<-- 2. (Fig., Colloq.) To perform an action causing results harmful or very unpleasant to a person or thing; as, women raped first by their assailant, and then by the Justice system. Corresponds to 2nd rape, n. 5. -->

To rape and ren. See under Rap, v. t., to snatch.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rape, v. i.

To rob; to pillage.

[Obs.]

Heywood.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rape, n. [Icel. hreppr village, district; cf. Icel. hreppa to catch, obtain, AS. hrepian, hreppan, to touch.]

One of six divisions of the county of Sussex, England, intermediate between a hundred and a shire.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rape, n. [L. rapa, rapum, akin to Gr. , , G. rube.] Bot.

A name given to a variety or to varieties of a plant of the turnip kind, grown for seeds and herbage. The seeds are used for the production of rape oil, and to a limited extent for the food of cage birds.

⇒ These plants, with the edible turnip, have been variously named, but are all now believed to be derived from the Brassica campestris of Europe, which by some is not considered distinct from the wild stock (B. oleracea) of the cabbage. See Cole.

Broom rape. Bot. See Broom rape, in the Vocabulary. -- Rape cake, the refuse remaining after the oil has been expressed from the seed. -- Rape root. Same as Rape. -- Summer rape. Bot. See Colza.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.