A feature of most modern pinball machines. Ramps generally require a skillful shot, since you not only need to hit them fairly straight-on, but also with enough momentum to get the ball up the ramp. Because of this, ramps are often used as targets for high point awards.

Some ramps are easier to hit than others because they have a wider mouth that gradually narrows down to guide the ball into a narrow path, or because they aren't so steep, or because their placement makes them easier to hit. Be careful of weak ramp shots; some games don't have any sort of diverter to slow down or redirect balls that don't make it all the way up the ramp, and sometimes these balls come screaming back down toward the flippers.

Some games just have one simple ramp, while others have multiple ramps that travel in complicated patterns all over the playfield.

In music radio terminology, a ramp is what gets you between a backing bed (which the DJ speaks over), and a jingle. It's usually a key change or a change in volume.

In pilot's jargon (especially British pilots) the ramp is the paved area of an airfield where aircraft are parked for storage or loading/unloading. Typically, fuelling is done at the fueling stand which is not part of the ramp.

In skateboarding it simply refers to anything with a transition, as in a quarterpipe or a halpipe. Not to be confused with a launch ramp, which has not transition at all, but rather launches you a long distance.
Skateboarding has some strange intricacies and specifics in its terminology.
A device that allows the user to travel from one height to another by way of a slope.

Typical uses include:

Allium tricoccum, the ramp, or wild leek, is native to the Appalachian region of North America.

Native Americans had used ramps in food and for medicinal purposes long before European settlers came to America. The settlers found a plant that resembled an English wild garlic, Allium ursinium, and applied its folk name, ramson, to the new plant. This eventially became "ramp".

Ramps can be used anywhere you would use leeks; however, they have an extremely strong onion-y/garlic-y taste. The taste is so strong that the eating of raw ramps is a demonstration of mountain machismo. Ramps are such a part of Appalachian culture that several counties in Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia hold annual ramp festivals featuring ramp-eating contests.

Ramp (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Ramped (?; 215); p. pr. & vb. n. Ramping.] [F. ramper to creep, OF., to climb; of German origin; cf. G. raffen to snatch, LG. & D. rapen. See Rap to snatch, and cf. Romp.]

1.

To spring; to leap; to bound; to rear; to prance; to become rampant; hence, to frolic; to romp.

2.

To move by leaps, or by leaps; hence, to move swiftly or with violence.

Their bridles they would champ,
And trampling the fine element would fiercely ramp. Spenser.

3.

To climb, as a plant; to creep up.

With claspers and tendrils, they [plants] catch hold, . . . and so ramping upon trees, they mount up to a great height. Ray.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ramp, n.

1.

A leap; a spring; a hostile advance.

The bold Ascalonite Fled from his lion ramp. Milton.

2.

A highwayman; a robber.

[Prov. Eng.]

3.

A romping woman; a prostitute.

[Obs.]

Lyly.

4. [F. rampe.] Arch. (a)

Any sloping member, other than a purely constructional one, such as a continuous parapet to a staircase.

(b)

A short bend, slope, or curve, where a hand rail or cap changes its direction.

5. [F. rampe.] Fort.

An inclined plane serving as a communication between different interior levels.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.