[verb]
To remove the special meaning from some character or string typed into a computer system, causing the text to be interpreted literally.

For example, at a Unix shell prompt, to refer to a file with whitespace in its name requires enclosing the filename in quotes or otherwise quoting the space in the name, to keep it from being interpreted as two separate filename arguments. When writing a regular expression (perhaps a search pattern for a utility like grep), if the string to be matched happens to contain a regexp metacharacter such as a bracket or asterisk, it must be quoted with a backslash to remove its special meaning.

Quote (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Quoted; p. pr. & vb. n. Quoting.] [OF. quoter, F. coter to letter, number, to quote, LL. quotare to divide into chapters and verses, fr. L. quotus. See Quota.] [Formerly written also cote.]

1.

To cite, as a passage from some author; to name, repeat, or adduce, as a passage from an author or speaker, by way of authority or illustration; as, to quote a passage from Homer.

2.

To cite a passage from; to name as the authority for a statement or an opinion; as, to quote Shakespeare.

3. Com.

To name the current price of.

4.

To notice; to observe; to examine.

[Obs.]

Shak.

5.

To set down, as in writing.

[Obs.] "He's quoted for a most perfidious slave."

Shak.

Syn. -- To cite; name; adduce; repeat. Quote, Cite. To cite was originally to call into court as a witness, etc., and hence denotes bringing forward any thing or person as evidence. Quote usually signifies to reproduce another's words; it is also used to indicate an appeal to some one as an authority, without adducing his exact words.

 

© Webster 1913.


Quote (?), n.

A note upon an author.

[Obs.]

Cotgrave.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.