1. A crowd of people, especially as potential victims of pickpockets. 2. A prison-break, especially one involving numerical rather than armed force. 3. The process by which aides crowd a prospective swindle victim close to a stand or game. 4. To sell, especially stolen or contraband goods. 5. To pass or issue, especially counterfeit currency or negotiables. 6. To burglarize.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950

"Kiss your browser goodbye: The radical future of media" - Wired, March 1997, Honorary Mention in Galactic Failed Technological Predictions Hall of Fame =)

"Push", in Internet sense, is a fairly simple thing in theory.

In push systems, the client connects to the server, and the server "pushes" information to the client in constant stream. This is useful for following constantly updating information.

The first push program that gained wide acceptance was PointCast. After that, uh, err...

...yes, I guess that the public interest in push things was killed by the fact that those things were fairly useless and didn't work well with the low modem speeds - and besides, no one actually did "pushing", all solutions were more like "constant pull".

These days, we have RSS feed aggregators that do similar things and more efficiently too, but if you call them "push" systems, the developers will probably come around and punch you on the nose.

In computing, especially in stack architectures, push means adding an element to the "top" of the stack. Push is the opposite of pop, which removes and returns the "top" element from the stack.

Example:
Stack: ->ABC
push D
Stack: ->ABCD
pop
(returns D)
Stack: ->ABC
pop
(returns C)
Stack: ->AB


Perl function:
push @array, list

Returns new length of @array.

Push adds list to the end of @array. @arrays length is increased by the length of list.

See also pop, shift and unshift.

Back to Perl

Push ( wrestling jargon )

In the world of professional wrestling, a "push" is a chance for a wrestler to advance up the card. Pushes generally happen for two reasons, which are strangely paradoxical:

-The wrestler is "over" with the crowd, i.e. gaining in popularity.

-The wrestler is being overlooked by the crowd, so the bookers want to give him/her a chance to showcase their abilities.

Some examples of a push would be outfitting the wrestler with a new gimmick, or placing him/her in a high-profile feud with a more popular wrestler.

purple wire = P = Python

push

[from the operation that puts the current information on a stack, and the fact that procedure return addresses are saved on a stack] (Also PUSH /push/ or PUSHJ /push'J/, the latter based on the PDP-10 procedure call instruction.) 1. To put something onto a stack or PDL. If one says that something has been pushed onto one's stack, it means that the Damoclean list of things hanging over ones's head has grown longer and heavier yet. This may also imply that one will deal with it before other pending items; otherwise one might say that the thing was `added to my queue'. 2. vi. To enter upon a digression, to save the current discussion for later. Antonym of pop; see also stack, PDL.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Push is a “cast member” at Disneyland in California, and Disneyworld in Florida. He is a trash can which walks and talks. Push is a robot that is radio governed.

Push looks just like the other trashcans in the area but surprises guests by moving and talking. His name is derived from the huge word “PUSH” found on both flaps that one pushes. I have interacted with the trashcan and it looks just like all the other trashcans, including real trash in its plastic trash bag. The common steel liner and the trash bag inside the trash can hide the radio governed controls amazingly.

He made his first appearance in the Tomorrowland inside the Magic Kingdom theme park at Disney World in Orlando, Florida. Recently he has been found in the Tomorrowland of Disneyland, in Anaheim California. I have also recently seen him in Disney’s California Adventure (DCA) (also in Anaheim).

From the information I found around the Web, Push was originally operated by two plain-clothed cast members. One of which controlled the movement of Push while the other did all the talking. The talking is done into a voice modulator. The trash can sounds like it has a nasally high-toned voice due to the voice modulator that fluctuates the operator's voice. Nowadays, however, one person usually controls both the movement and the voice. I have seen Push about four or five times but only once did I find the operator. It was the one time which I saw Push in DCA which I was able to find the operator among the crowd surrounding the robot. It was a guy with one hand in a duffle bag and the other hand held close to his mouth with some sort of small microphone in his hand. He appears to most people to just be another person watching the robot interact with the park guests. The operator is close enough to hear what is said to the trashcan, yet far enough from it to not make it obvious they are controlling him, usually around 10-20 feet away from it.

The wheels and tires are much like those found on the mobility scooters that can also be found in other amusement parks and grocery stores to help handicapped people or disabled people with their mobility. While the explicit method of Push's mobility system is not really known, it seems to be powered with the conveyance wheels and tires like those of those mobility scooters I spoke of earlier in the last sentence. The first time I met Push I saw him talking to a child who was about 8 or 9 years old, who had his face painted. The trash can asked the boy his name and then addressed the child by his name and asked the boy to give him a hug. Then he told the child how good his tiger painted face looked. He then thanked the boy for the hug and rolled away to another young guest. The second time I met him I was with a group of friends of mine (all adults). One of my friends was riding one of the mobility scooters and Push challenged her to a race. The robot moved back and forth a bit then started chanting “I won! I won!” and thanked her for the race. The next time I saw Push he was moving around in a group of kids who were taking turns peeking inside and throwing trash into it but he was not speaking. I watched him for a few minutes but he wasn’t saying a word. The most recent time I saw him was the time at DCA when I noticed the operator. Push was moving around in the small area where about 20 or 30 park guests had gathered to watch and interact with Push. He was thanking people for placing trash inside him and belched.

Push is very entertaining to watch and interact with. I make it a point to look for him every time I visit the Disneyland Resort here in California.


Push can now be seen at Disney's California Adventure park.


Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_the_Talking_Trash_Can
http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/WDW/MagicKingdom/Secrets/TL/General.html
http://www.disneylies.com/disneyland/entertainment/streetperformers.shtml
Interaction with “Push” himself.

Push (?), n. [Probably F. poche. See Pouch.]

A pustule; a pimple. [Obs. or Prov. Eng.] Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913


Push, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pushed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Pushing.] [OE. possen, pussen, F. pousser, fr. L. pulsare, v. intens. fr. pellere, pulsum, to beat, knock, push. See Pulse a beating, and cf. Pursy.]

1.

To press against with force; to drive or impel by pressure; to endeavor to drive by steady pressure, without striking; -- opposed to draw.

Sidelong had pushed a mountain from his seat.
Milton.

2.

To thrust the points of the horns against; to gore.

If the ox shall push a manservant or maidservant, . . . the ox shall be stoned.
Ex. xxi. 32.

3.

To press or urge forward; to drive; to push an objection too far. " To push his fortune." Dryden.

Ambition pushes the soul to such actions as are apt to procure honor to the actor.
Spectator.

We are pushed for an answer.
Swift.

4.

To bear hard upon; to perplex; to embarrass.

5.

To importune; to press with solicitation; to tease.

To push down, to overthrow by pushing or impulse.

 

© Webster 1913


Push, v. i.

1.

To make a thrust; to shove; as, to push with the horns or with a sword. Shak.

2.

To make an advance, attack, or effort; to be energetic; as, a man must push in order to succeed.

At the time of the end shall the kind of the south push at him and the king of the north shall come against him.
Dan. xi. 40.

War seemed asleep for nine long years; at length
Both sides resolved to push, we tried our strength.
Dryden.

3.

To burst pot, as a bud or shoot.

To push on, to drive or urge forward; to hasten.

The rider pushed on at a rapid pace.
Sir W. Scott.

 

© Webster 1913


Push, n.

1.

A thrust with a pointed instrument, or with the end of a thing.

2.

Any thrust. pressure, impulse, or force, or force applied; a shove; as, to give the ball the first push.

3.

An assault or attack; an effort; an attempt; hence, the time or occasion for action.

Exact reformation is not perfected at the first push.
Milton.

When it comes to the push, 'tis no more than talk.
L' Estrange.

4.

The faculty of overcoming obstacles; aggressive energy; as, he has push, or he has no push.

[Colloq.]

Syn. -- See Thrust.

 

© Webster 1913


Push, n.

A crowd; a company or clique of associates; a gang. [Slang]

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.