So, you want to be a fashion punk. First of all, don't. On the other hand, if you actually like the music and feel you need to express this through a style change, then by all means do it. But if you just think it looks cool, I'd suggest you go hang out with the ravers. Anyway, the first step is to get some f'in rank clothing. Old, ripped, home made t-shirts, similar pants (Dickies are good, they're indestructible) and plenty of saftey pins to fix spontaneous rips in your new (well, relatively anyway) duds. As for the less required elements, many punks like to wear metal spikes on any piece of leather they can find, wrist bands, belts, gloves, etc. If you want to look extra intimidating make sure that the wrist bands cut off almost all blood flow to your hand, causing all the small blood vessels to bulge outwards, and making you look really bad ass. Wallet chains seem to be popular amongst all the cliques, so go with how you feel. Just make sure it won't be an anchor for you to get slugged around by in the pit. Congratulations, you're all decked out, now you just need some dangerous personal philosophies.

The punk style is a very unique one. It first came about in the 1970's when it was actually original. It has evolved over the years, and now is basically a take off on what was once offensive and original.

Today, there are many different punk sub-genres. Each sub-genre has a different style to it. You have 77 kids, who take on the whole "spirit of '77" attitude, taking their style from the original punks. Crusty punks are your dirtier, hippie-like punks. They often preach of animal liberation, veganism, feminism, many of them are homeless, etc... Basically, there are many different kinds of punk kids.

The standard 'punk' dress today is a pair of doc martins, black stretch pants with patches of bands, or plaid pants, a band shirt(most likely ripped), and a leather jacket that is painted and studded to all hell. Many punks dress like this, but there are many other things they will wear. Some replace the leather jacket with a jean vest, girls will often wear ripped up fishnets with a short skirt, and sometimes doc martin boots are replaced with creepers.

One thing I have noticed is that the original punk kids were much more offensive in the way they dressed. One thing that comes to mind, was sid vicious' "two gay cowboys" t-shirt. It depicted to cowboys standing facing each other, both of their pants were down and you could see their genitals. At the bottom it said "'ello Joe, been anywhere lately? Nah it's all been played out aht Bill gettin' too straight."

One thing that amazes me is how much the media, and stores like hot topic try to exploit the essence of punk, from everything to the underground bands, to how punks dress. It really amazes me how hard kids try to look punk today. Their idols are green day, blink-182, and Avril Lavigne. That is not punk rock, never has, and never will be punk. Some kids try to take off their style and call it punk.

The original punk dress was about originality, yet a lot of it was bought from the store "Sex" that Vivianne Westwood started in London. Also, a lot of it was homemade, but bands like the sex pistols were often found shopping there. Something I hear a lot towards punk kids is "aren't you guys trying to be original? You all look the same!" If punk was about being original, being different, not being like ANYONE else, they wouldn't call themselves punks would they? They'd call themselves individuals. It's not really so much about individuality. Some people say it's all about fashion, but that's definitely not true, except to so-called fashion punks.

In conclusion, I can't really tell you what punk style and punk fashion is all about. But I can tell you that it isn't a store-bought thing. The punkest thing you can do is DIY (Do it yourself!). I know punk kids who spend hours sewing their pants tight, studding their jackets, making their own patches, etc... Which is great because they're not buying it in a store, but at what point does "punk" become a fashion thing over being about the music? Over being a part of you, as opposed to a uniform?

The punk style originated as an imitation of post-apocalyptic existence. You can see this in the tattered clothing of punk rockers, and also the skeletons, skulls, and atomic bombs you see exploding on punk rock merchandise and album covers. There is a lot that is "fiendish" about punk rock.

In the post-apocalypse, how much money you have would not really matter much, and you would have to fight for your life like an animal. This idea is reflected in the lyrics of many punk songs, a clear example being Anarchy in the UK, by the Sex Pistols. "I am the anti-christ, I am an anarchist, don't know what I want but I know how to get it." The ideas expressed in this sentence reflect many people's ideas about the apocalypse (anti-christ, anarchist).

Punk came about as a reflex to the "push-button" culture that originated in the 1950s, a culture that sprung up with much help from the United States' emerging "Super-power" status, which was, in turn, helped by the fact that the U.S. possessed, and had already USED, the destructive power of Atomic Bombs. People used vacuum cleaners, washing machines, televisions, many household objects were operated at the push of a simple button; and the belief that the world could be destroyed in a nuclear inferno at the push of a button was a huge catalyst in the development of the punk attitude, and the "I dont give a shit about anything" lifestyle.

Punks are notorious for hating people who have their heads up their asses, people who blindly invest their souls into capitalism, and their have been millions of these people for punks to hate since World War 2.

Punks dressed like they did because punks felt that punks were the only people with whom eachother could sympathize about the wrongness of the main-stream. With the way punks dressed, a punk could automatically tell if somebody hated the same things as he/she did.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.