Pub cricket is a game.

Genre

Road trip diversions.

Equipment

Two or more players, in a moving vehicle, ideally travelling through a relatively populated area. Each player needs at least one functioning eye.

Goal

To amass the greatest amount of runs (points) by the end of the trip (or some other pre-determined time).

Rules

Players attempt to spot pubs. When a player spots a pub, they call the name of the pub aloud. Any single pub is only officially spotted by the first player to call the pub's name. Speed is of the essence.

When a player has spotted a pub, they score runs based on the number of legs the pub's name has. For example, a pub called 'The Queen Victoria' scores two, since Queen Victoria had two legs. A pub called 'The Dog and Duck' scores six, since the dog has four legs, and the duck has two, for a total of six.

However, players must take care to avoid calling pubs that have no legs. (For example, 'The Rose and Crown'). If a player calls a pub with no legs, this is a wicket. When a player accumulates three wickets, their runs total is reset to zero.

(This rule is more important than you might think. Commonly, all the players will spot a pub-like building in the distance, and all players will want to be the first to spot and read a sign with the name. Forcing players to think about whether the name has any legs before they call it adds a significant edge to this situation.)

Calling an incorrect pub name also counts as a wicket.

If a pub name mentions contains a plural but isn't specific (e.g. 'The Cricketers'), assume there are two of each plural item (e.g. two cricketers, and therefore four runs).

Variations

You might like to put a limit on the number of runs that a single pub can score. Otherwise, the player that spots a pub called 'The Tenth Platoon' is almost certainly going to win. In cricketing fashion, six is the usual limit. On the other hand, you can leave the limit out, and hope that you're the one that spots a pub called 'People of the World'.

Obviously, you can also vary the number of wickets allowed before the score is reset. Also, younger players might benefit from being awarded double runs.

If you're travelling a route you've travelled before, you might find you need to agree rules for pubs that you all know are there. I play that you can score them as soon as any part of the building becomes visible, whether you can see the sign or not. (Obviously, you have to get the name right too!)

A significant variation from Tiefling - players take turn to be the batter, and the batter scores all pubs passed until they go out by passing a pub with no legs. Then the next batter takes their turn. This is a less competitive version of the game, leaving it to chance rather than eagle-eyed quick reading. This could be better suited for playing in families with a younger child (to give them a chance against any faster reading older siblings).


Thanks to Tiefling for some rule refinements and suggestions :-)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.