A glorified teacher, usually at a college or university. Sometimes boring, but a few are inspiring. They are often remarkably bad at teaching and find research much more interesting. See also these subtypes: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Visiting Professor, and the horrible beast of higher education--the Tenured Professor.

A panhandler whith a clever story, especially one who makes pretense of erudition.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950

Professor. (1) One who professes or makes open and public declaration of his sentiments, opinions, belief, etc. (2) One who makes a public profession of religion in those churches where such a rule prevails instead of confirmation. (3) One who teaches any art, science, or branch of learning; specifically a person appointed in a university, college, etc., to deliver lectures and instruct the students in any particular branch of learning; as, a professor of Greek, a professor of theology, etc. By common use, the title professor has become greatly abused, and is assumed, not only by teachers of music, dancing, drawing, etc., but even by quacks, conjurers, teachers of boxing, animal trainers, etc.


Entry from Everybody's Cyclopedia, 1912.

Pro*fess"or (?), n. [L., a teacher, a public teacher: cf. F. professeur. See Profess.]

1.

One who professed, or makes open declaration of, his sentiments or opinions; especially, one who makes a public avowal of his belief in the Scriptures and his faith in Christ, and thus unites himself to the visible church.

"Professors of religion."

Bacon.

2.

One who professed, or publicly teaches, any science or branch of learning; especially, an officer in a university, college, or other seminary, whose business it is to read lectures, or instruct students, in a particular branch of learning; as a professor of theology, of botany, of mathematics, or of political economy.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.