Formula: C13H20N2O2
Melting Point: 154 Degrees (Celsius)
Boiling Point: N/A
Molecular Weight: 272.22g

Also known as: Novocaine Hydrochloride, 2-Diethylaminoethyl P-Aminobenzoate Hydrochloride, Novocaine

Procaine is a local anesthetic, related to benzocaine and cocaine. Created by combining two water soluble B vitamins: para-amino benzoic acid and diethylaminoethanol, Procaine is freely soluble in water, slightly soluble in both ethanol and chloroform, and almost insoluble in ethyl ether. It was first synthesized in 1905 by Dr. Alfred Einhorn, and quickly replaced cocaine as the standard drug for regional nerve block anesthesia. Procaine usage decreased with the introduction of Lidocaine in 1943. Unlike benzocaine or cocaine, Procaine does not produce anesthesia when applied directly to the skin or mucous membranes.

The original use of Procaine was meant to be as a local anesthetic, but in the 1920's, investigations started looking into possible theraputic uses of the chemical. Findings thus far are inconclusive, but show signs of beneficial properties.

Procaine blocks the conduction of nervous fibers, and is widely used by dentists as a pain killer, and by surgeons in spinal anesthesia. It also has uses in infiltration anesthesia, block anesthesia, lumbar anesthesia, epidural anesthesia, etc. Physically, it is either delivered as white crystals, or an odorless white crystalline powder. It has a slightly bitter taste before numbing the area.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.