I love this movie too, but I have to disagree; Andie and Blane's love was not unrequited. They were both totally interested in one another (even though later on Blane tried to deny it, the bastard.) What about their little fling in the stable, eh, if not requiting?

But my absolute favorite character is Iona (Annie Potts.) The only part of Pretty in Pink that I truly loathe is the bit near the end where Iona stops being a cool new wave chick to go out with some lamp yuppie veterinarian in a cheap Miami Vice wardrobe. Iona was so incredibly sexy for a fourteen year old boy. I think she's the basis of my older-woman fetish.

A couple of cool Iona quotes:

Iona: It's such a waste working in a lowly retail outlet.
Andie: No, not if you're good at it.
Iona: I'm good in bed; should I be a whore?
(Note that Iona is wrong; she worked at Wax Trax!)

Iona: Every time you go to the john, you lose IQ points.

Iona: Bondage has no place in my life. Since when? Since I spent the night tied up in the back seat of your car.

Duckie: You know what an older woman does for me?
Iona: Change your diaper?

Iona: It would've been a fairytale; if only my date wasn't the only one with a wife and two kids.

The soundtrack track list is:

The two John Hughes movies I like best are Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful. For better or for worse, when I was younger, these two films had a tremendous impact on my conception (or, perhaps, misconception) of what Romantic Love was all about.

Pretty in Pink, starring Molly Ringwald and Andrew McCarthy, is about social stigma, letting go, and being there for someone.

In the film, Andie Walsh (Molly Ringwald; Sixteen Candles, "The Stand") and her unemployed father Jack (Harry Dean Stanton; Twister, Cool Hand Luke) live in one of the more run-down parts of town. Things have been different since Andie's mother left them, and all they have is each other. And, of course, Andie's best friend Duckie (Jon Cryer; Holy Man), who you can always count on for a laugh.

Working in a music store with co-worker Iona (Annie Potts; Ghostbusters, Toy Story, "Designing Women"), Andie meets Blane McDonough (Andrew McCarthy; Mannequin, St. Elmo's Fire), a kid from the rich area of town. To maintain a meaningful relationship, they must cross social boundaries and redefine their other personal relationships, including those with the rich and disdainful Steff McKee (James Spader; Stargate, Sex, Lies, and Videotape).

A classic 80's movie, this film will appeal to those who loved movies like The Breakfast Club (starring Emilio Estevez, Molly Ringwald, and Judd Nelson among others) and The Outsiders, starring Rob Lowe, Diane Lane, and Patrick Swayze among others.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.