In this day and age, the need for nomenclature of different types of music has become more apparent as more distinct genres have emerged. And so it emerges, a brave new genre of Metal music. A new music that even Bill and Ted would have been proud of.

“But what is this Extraordinary new music?” - I hear you cry

Power Metal combines extreme bass drumming with ultra fast melodic fret board shredding solos, and clear soaring vocals. As well as the unique musical sound, Power Metals lyrical content traditionally includes Arcane or Medieval themes. In short it’s Heavy Metal on speed. Many of today’s premiere power metal bands take inspiration from NWOBHM, including Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Saxon, etc…

“Fantastic as it sounds, which bands make Power Metal?”

Pioneering the way forward, are bands such as Helloween, Blind Guardian and DragonForce. And often some new less heard of bands such as HammerFall and Heavenly. The list goes on, and is ever expanding. If you want my personal recommendation – I would buy Heavenly’s new(ish) album, ‘Dust to Dust’

Power Metal has been around since the mid 80’s and despite having an entire decade and countless bands and quality albums; Power Metal is still very much an underground genre. Suffice to say though, if you’re into Heavy Metal, are looking for something with a bit more grunt, but can’t stand Death/Black vocals – Power Metal is for you.


You should be aware that an album that wants to be classed as a Power Metal album needs to have a Power Ballad on it. Although a slow ballad isnt "Power Metal" as such, it does have to be there in order for the album to be Power Metal. Don't ask me why, it just does.


Stuff to Check out:
www.heavenlymetal.net - Don't be put off their shambles of a website. The music is brilliant.. honest!
www.dragonforce.com
www.power-metal.com
www.helloween.org
www.noiserecords.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.