Pot-bellied pigs were introduced as pets in the United States in the mid-1980's, and reached a peak of popularity in the mid- to late-1990's.

Pot-bellied pigs are native to the jungles of China and Vietnam. They typically live for 12-18 years, although 20 year old pigs are not uncommon. By the age of three, they reach their peak weight of about 125 pounds. Pot-bellied pigs have poor eyesight, but a very highly developed sense of smell.

Being a pig, they are, of course, omnivorous and will eat anything. They are particularly fond of fresh fruit and vegetables. Pig food is commerically available such as Purina Exotic Pig Chow. The diet of a pet pig has to be regulated, or else the pig will overeat and become excessively fat. The flip side of this is that these pigs are very easy to bribe and train with food rewards.

Pot-bellied pigs are said to make excellent pets. They are known for being intelligent, playful and curious. Much like a dog, pot-bellied pigs can be house trained and can be taught many simple tricks. Their pig instincts, however, mean they are territorial, will eat just about anything, and they will root around in any dirt available.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.