An intrumental piece by Nine Inch Nails off of the Broken EP, pinion is little more than a repeating loop of industrial static ever increasing in volume layered over the muffled sound of pipes being beaten together.
The music video for pinion begins with the flushing of a toilet, then proceeds to follow the excrement down, down, into the depths of despair, past rotating wheels, until finally we see that the same pipe coming from the ivory throne is force feeding a pinioned human figure.

Pin"ion (?), n. Zool.

A moth of the genus Lithophane, as L. antennata, whose larva bores large holes in young peaches and apples.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pin"ion, n. [OF. pignon a pen, F., gable, pinion (in sense 5); cf. Sp. pinon pinion; fr. L. pinna pinnacle, feather, wing. See Pin a peg, and cf. Pen a feather, Pennat, Pennon.]

1.

A feather; a quill.

Shak.

2.

A wing, literal or figurative.

Swift on his sooty pinions flits the gnome. Pope.

3.

The joint of bird's wing most remote from the body.

Johnson.

4.

A fetter for the arm.

Ainsworth.

5. Mech.

A cogwheel with a small number of teeth, or leaves, adapted to engage with a larger wheel, or rack (see Rack); esp., such a wheel having its leaves formed of the substance of the arbor or spindle which is its axis.

Lantern pinion. See under Lantern. -- Pinion wire, wire fluted longitudinally, for making the pinions of clocks and watches. It is formed by being drawn through holes of the shape required for the leaves or teeth of the pinions.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pin"ion (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pinioned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Pinioning.]

1.

To bind or confine the wings of; to confine by binding the wings.

Bacon.

2.

To disable by cutting off the pinion joint.

Johnson.

3.

To disable or restrain, as a person, by binding the arms, esp. by binding the arms to the body.

Shak.

Her elbows pinioned close upon her hips. Cowper.

4.

Hence, generally, to confine; to bind; to tie up.

"Pinioned up by formal rules of state."

Norris.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.