A dish consisting of some sort of sausage or frankfurter wrapped up in some sort of breadlike thing, with a fairly wide choice of details.

At IHOP, "Pigs in a Blanket" consists of spicy sausage links wrapped in pancakes. (The sausages and pancakes are cooked separately on the same grill.)

In my family's cookbook, "Pigs in a Blanket" are served exclusively on New Year's Eve. They're made by wrapping small hot dogs (cocktail weiners) in the refrigerated dough sold for making croissants, then baking the dough-wrapped hot dogs in a toaster oven.

I'd be curious to learn where the name comes from; it sounds unusual enough to my American ears that I'd guess it could be British.

Where I grew up, if you said "Pigs in a Blanket" were little hot dogs wrapped in dough you would probably get some strange looks. Here is a recipe that I grew up on for pigs in a blanket, or more lovingly called piggies.

Pigs in a Blanket

Ingredients
1 lb ground pork
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 head of cabbage
3/4 cup uncooked rice
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 Tbsp shortening

Cut the cabbage around the core. Boil cabbage for 5 minutes or so (to loosen leaves) and allow to drain. In a skillet, add the meats, onions, shortening, seasoning, and slowly fry for about 10-15 minutes. Wash rice and add to the meat, mix well.

Remove cabbage leaves. Place a tablespoon (approx.) of the meat mixture in the center of the cabbage leaf and roll. Be sure to tuck the ends in! Place rolls in a dutch oven or pot. Pour stewed tomatoes over the piggies and add enough water to cover. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Cook 1 and 1/2 hours.

Enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.