Par"ting (?), a. [From Part, v.]

1.

Serving to part; dividing; separating.

2.

Given when departing; as, a parting shot; a parting salute.

"Give him that parting kiss."

Shak.

3.

Departing.

"Speed the parting guest."

Pope.

4.

Admitting of being parted; partible.

Parting fellow, a partner. [Obs.] Chaucer. -- Parting pulley. See under Pulley. -- Parting sand Founding, dry, nonadhesive sand, sprinkled upon the partings of a mold to facilitate the separation. -- Parting strip Arch., in a sash window, one of the thin strips of wood let into the pulley stile to keep the sashes apart; also, the thin piece inserted in the window box to separate the weights. -- Parting tool Mach., a thin tool, used in turning or planing, for cutting a piece in two.

 

© Webster 1913.


Par"ting (?), n.

1.

The act of parting or dividing; the state of being parted; division; separation.

"The parting of the way."

Ezek. xxi. 21.

2.

A separation; a leave-taking.

Shak.

And there were sudden partings, such as press The life from out young hearts. Byron.

3.

A surface or line of separation where a division occurs.

4. Founding

The surface of the sand of one section of a mold where it meets that of another section.

5. Chem.

The separation and determination of alloys; esp., the separation, as by acids, of gold from silver in the assay button.

6. Geol.

A joint or fissure, as in a coal seam.

7. Naut.

The breaking, as of a cable, by violence.

8. Min.

Lamellar separation in a crystallized mineral, due to some other cause than cleavage, as to the presence of twinning lamellae.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.