A pack of cards (UK), also called deck (US) is a set of 52 cards divided into four suits. The 13 cards in each suit are as follows:

  • (Ace)
  • King
  • Queen
  • Jack or Knave
  • 10
  • 9
  • 8
  • 7
  • 6
  • 5
  • 4
  • 3
  • 2
  • (Ace)

Depending on the game, Aces may be considered high or low. Card games may use an incomplete pack with one or more cards removed, or a pack with extra cards added, usually jokers. The use of a double pack (104 cards) is also common.

Pack (?), n. [Cf. Pact.]

A pact. [Obs.] Daniel.

 

© Webster 1913


Pack, n. [Akin to D. pak, G. pack, Dan. pakke, Sw. packa, Icel. pakki, Gael. & Ir. pac, Arm. pak. Cf. Packet.]

1.

A bundle made up and prepared to be carried; especially, a bundle to be carried on the back; a load for an animal; a bale, as of goods. Piers Plowman.

2. [Cf. Peck, n.]

A number or quantity equal to the contents of a pack; hence, a multitude; a burden. "A pack of sorrows." "A pack of blessings." Shak.

⇒ "In England, by a pack of meal is meant 280 lbs.; of wool, 240 lbs." McElrath.

3.

A number or quantity of connected or similar things; as:

(a)

A full set of playing cards; also, the assortment used in a particular game; as, a euchre pack.

(b)

A number of hounds or dogs, hunting or kept together.

(c)

A number of persons associated or leagued in a bad design or practice; a gang; as, a pack of thieves or knaves.

(d)

A shook of cask staves.

(e)

A bundle of sheet-iron plates for rolling simultaneously.

4.

A large area of floating pieces of ice driven together more or less closely. Kane.

5.

An envelope, or wrapping, of sheets used in hydropathic practice, called dry pack, wet pack, cold pack, etc., according to the method of treatment.

6. [Prob. the same word; but cf. AS. p&?;can to deceive.]

A loose, lewd, or worthless person. See Baggage. [Obs.] Skelton.

Pack animal, an animal, as a horse, mule, etc., employed in carrying packs. --
Pack cloth, a coarse cloth, often duck, used in covering packs or bales. --
Pack horse. See Pack animal (above). --
Pack ice. See def. 4, above. --
Pack moth (Zoöl.), a small moth (Anacampsis sarcitella) which, in the larval state, is very destructive to wool and woolen fabrics. --
Pack needle, a needle for sewing with pack thread. Piers Plowman. --
Pack saddle, a saddle made for supporting the load on a pack animal. Shak. --
Pack staff, a staff for supporting a pack; a peddler's staff. --
Pack thread, strong thread or small twine used for tying packs or parcels. --
Pack train (Mil.), a troop of pack animals.

 

© Webster 1913


Pack (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Packed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Packing.] [Akin to D. pakken, G. packen, Dan. pakke, Sw. packa, Icel. pakka. See Pack, n.]

1.

To make a pack of; to arrange closely and securely in a pack; hence, to place and arrange compactly as in a pack; to press into close order or narrow compass; as to pack goods in a box; to pack fish.

Strange materials packed up with wonderful art.
Addison.

Where . . . the bones
Of all my buried ancestors are packed.
Shak.

2.

To fill in the manner of a pack, that is, compactly and securely, as for transportation; hence, to fill closely or to repletion; to stow away within; to cause to be full; to crowd into; as, to pack a trunk; the play, or the audience, packs the theater.

3.

To sort and arrange (the cards) in a pack so as to secure the game unfairly.

And mighty dukes pack cards for half a crown.
Pope.

4.

Hence: To bring together or make up unfairly and fraudulently, in order to secure a certain result; as, to pack a jury or a causes.

The expected council was dwindling into . . . a packed assembly of Italian bishops.
Atterbury.

5.

To contrive unfairly or fraudulently; to plot. [Obs.]

He lost life . . . upon a nice point subtilely devised and packed by his enemies.
Fuller.

6.

To load with a pack; hence, to load; to encumber; as, to pack a horse.

Our thighs packed with wax, our mouths with honey.
Shack.

7.

To cause to go; to send away with baggage or belongings; esp., to send away peremptorily or suddenly; -- sometimes with off; as, to pack a boy off to school.

He . . . must not die

Till George be packed with post horse up to heaven.
Shak.

8.

To transport in a pack, or in the manner of a pack (i. e., on the backs of men or beasts). [Western U.S.]

9. (Hydropathy)

To envelop in a wet or dry sheet, within numerous coverings. See Pack, n., 5.

10. (Mech.)

To render impervious, as by filling or surrounding with suitable material, or to fit or adjust so as to move without giving passage to air, water, or steam; as, to pack a joint; to pack the piston of a steam engine.

 

© Webster 1913


Pack, v. i.

1.

To make up packs, bales, or bundles; to stow articles securely for transportation.

2.

To admit of stowage, or of making up for transportation or storage; to become compressed or to settle together, so as to form a compact mass; as, the goods pack conveniently; wet snow packs well.

3.

To gather in flocks or schools; as, the grouse or the perch begin to pack. [Eng.]

4.

To depart in haste; -- generally with off or away.

Poor Stella must pack off to town
Swift.

You shall pack,
And never more darken my doors again.
Tennyson.

5.

To unite in bad measures; to confederate for ill purposes; to join in collusion. [Obs.] "Go pack with him." Shak.

To send packing, to drive away; to send off roughly or in disgrace; to dismiss unceremoniously. "The parliament . . . presently sent him packing." South.

 

© Webster 1913


Pack, n.

1. (Med.)

In hydropathic practice, a wrapping of blankets or sheets called dry pack, wet pack, cold pack, etc., according to the condition of the blankets or sheets used, put about a patient to give him treatment; also, the fact or condition of being so treated.

2. (Rugby Football)

The forwards who compose one half of the scrummage; also, the scrummage.

Pack and prime road or way, a pack road or bridle way.

 

© Webster 1913


Pack, v. t.

To cover, envelop, or protect tightly with something; specif. (Hydropathy),

to envelop in a wet or dry sheet, within numerous coverings.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.