Album by The Wipers, released 1984 on the Restless label.

This be some frantic, rockin' stuff. Ten years later this would have been a grunge classic but, as it is, it's now a venerable object of music history. These guys didn't just sing about angst, they invented it. This is one of the finest albums of the mid-1980s, when punk was dying and only a few bands like the Wipers were still flying the banner and flying it high. Your grunge record collection is incomplete without this gem.

  1. Over the Edge
  2. Doom Town
  3. So Young
  4. Messenger
  5. Romeo
  6. Now is the Time
  7. What Is
  8. No One Wants an Alien
  9. The Lonely One
  10. No Generation Gap
  11. This Time

The best tracks on this album are probably Doom Town, Over the Edge and Romeo. This is also a very good album for getting to know Greg Sage and his band.

If you add lyrics for any tracks on this album, please let me know and I'll add hard links.

A weekly radio show on 94.1 KPFA in Berkeley, said to be the longest-running freeform show in public radio. The show is every Thursday night (actually Friday morning) from midnight to 3, except for the first Thursday of every month. It was founded by Don Joyce, who still is the official license-holder and the one responsible for filling the time slot every week, but the program has become associated pretty closely with the group Negativland. Only occasional installments of OTE include all 5 members of Negativland, but the show always utilizes techniques and concepts that are important foundations of the band, like live sound collage and "receptacle programming", the unedited live phone calls which have provided a lot of the most truly unique and hilarious moments in the history of the program.

Don has been doing the show since the early 1980s, and the rest of Negativland soon discovered it and began participating. Other frequent collaborators in Over the Edge include Wobbly, Ronald Redball, and Phineas Narco. Many fans are regular callers who have developed on-air personas, and who often inject their own sound collages or music into the mix via the phone lines. Don also frequently collages recordings of previous shows and callers into new shows, so that at many times it's unclear (even to the callers) who is a live caller, who is a recorded caller, and who is a totally constructed monologue made from samples.

Don sells unedited cassette collections of the better OTE episodes, and Seeland, Negativland's label, has also released several Over the Edge CDs, which present edited thematic highlights of certain shows or series of shows, such as The Time Zones Exchange Project, JamCon 84, The Weatherman's Dumb Stupid Come-out Line, and Sex Dirt. A recent and very interesting OTE concept series is The Chopping Channel.

for more information, see negativland.com.

A role-playing game (the paper kind) created by master game designers Jonathan Tweet and Robin Laws, and published by Atlas Games. Over the Edge was inspired in part by the fiction of William Burroughs, particularly the Tangiers-inspired milieu of Interzone. However, Al Amarja (as the island nation detailed in Over the Edge is named) is both less unhinged than Interzone and more so.

Over the Edge is one of many games that strive to create a world in which all conceivable conspiracy theories are true simultaneously. OtE crosses Burroughs' drug-hazed exotica with, say, an offshore tech haven, and a business hub curiously misplaced in the South Seas. The stories in Over the Edge are driven by factions, like so many RPGs these days: the business types, hacker types, and voodoo pusher-magician types all form tribes and compete for control of the island of Al Amarja, the better to provide default motivations for PCs and NPCs alike and keep the story moving.

The world of Over the Edge is also the basis for the collectible card game On the Edge, which was one of the first major post-Magic offerings in the genre and, according to some, still one of the best. On the Edge was actually released several months before Over the Edge, so whether one was intended as a loss leader for the other is a real question (as is: which for which?).

I stand balanced on the edge, gravel grinding under my feet. The sharp breeze teases my hair and swirls the mist into beguiling and alluring shapes. I stare out, watching the fleeting images of castles, mountains and laughing faces form and dissolve in the tendrils of vapour as fear and anxiety gnaw at my stomach.

I shift my tense body; my feet performing a nervous shuffle yet keen to commence a walkabout. I am drawn closer to the edge as sounds drift from the fog, snippets of laughter, the crash of waves, lonely birds cry and machinery grinds out of the thick translucent mist. Curiosity draws me to the brink, the edge crumbling at my feet, stones bouncing in the swirling, seething mass. Try as I might the sights and sounds elude my control, I can not grasp their meanings.

Emotion boils out of the fog sending shudders down my spine, tangible wisps of love, hope, excitement, adventure, heartbreak and anticipation. My heart pounds in excitement, its shiny new pink scars holding out against the welter of emotions encircling it. They become overwhelming pushing me back and forth from the heights of joy to the depths of loneliness, I do not know whether to laugh or cry. My skin itches as the emotions well to the surface threatening to drown my sense of self and burst the shiny new scars.

I glance over my shoulder to where my family stands together, smiling through tears. My mother’s words drift through my mind as I smile tightly at my flesh and blood, an unseverable bond. There are many times as a parent when you wish that you had a magic wand to fix everything for your children, but unfortunately magic wands are in short supply! Hang in there! And remember that we are here for you.” The flood of emotion disappears to a trickle, relief. The fog becomes menacing, the edge crumbling away from my soles, I step back as I hear my friends whisper “We will miss you!” I should turn back, there is no other place for me!

Return to the warm embrace of friends and family, to the unconditional love of the piece of my soul I have left behind, her emerald eyes watching me reproachfully from my father's arms. Take comfort again in the solid dependability of my life, the routine and simple enjoyment of my own space. The cool wind tickles my neck as the ghosts of the past rise behind my family and friends, memories of hurt, pain and regret swirl around my confused mind. The ghosts drift forward enveloping my ties with family and friends; twisting and turning the bonds into the shape they want. The sounds from the fog become louder, beckoning me to turn offering escape from the memories and the manipulation of ghosts that hold sway over me.

My life leans heavy against my leg as my world contracts and expands, my focus pulled by the lure of the fog, the edge becomes more enticing. The mist sneaks into my chosen uniform of black through the layers searching for the hurts and regrets. The ghosts subside and the siren voices from the fog sing to my troubled heart and soul. My lungs are filled with the sweet tang of the unknown as I breathe in the creeping vapour. I draw a deep breath and leave the shadows of my past behind, wrapping my family's love around me like a coat I step over the edge and into the unknown.

Before reaching its incendiary ending, Over the Edge drags us through Lord of the Flies on suburban streets, from a basement party to criminal mischief, accompanied by a nearly-perfect soundtrack. The low-budget film touts its inspiration in "true events" at a planned community in CA, Foster City. The excesses of the alienated youth there were documented and perhaps amplified by the San Francisco Examiner in a 1973 piece, "Mousepacks: Kids on a Crime Spree" (November 11, 1973). By the time the film was made it was the late 70s, Blank rising, and the film firmly plants itself in those years. Released in 1979, given limited distribution-- pulled from many theatres-- it would take a few years to reach its audience, but that audience would include ill-fated rocker Kurt Cobain and filmmaker Richard Linklater, both of whom would cite its influence.

We're in New Granada-- "New Granola"-- a fictional and faltering planned community in Colorado. There are a lot of kids with a lot of nothing to do, and they turn to alcohol, sex, drugs, and crime. The poorer teens hang out in a community centre run by an open-minded but overwhelmed social worker. The wealthier ones throw parties. Matt Dillon makes his film debut at fourteen as juvie Richie. Michael Kramer gives a natural performance as his more affluent bud Carl, son of one of the town's would-be movers and shakers. Carl has eyes for stoner babe Cory (Pamela Ludwig), who might be interested. Other characters include criminally disturbed Mark (Vincent Spano), drug-addled Claude (Tom Fergus), petty thief Abby (Kim Kliner), dealer Tip (Eric Lalich), and enigmatic skate kid Johnny (Tiger Thompson). The acting can be uneven, but the use of real teens, on location and encouraged to improvise, invests the film with a disturbing power. While their actions can seem hyperbolic, they're not, for most of the film, implausible. If you were ___-teen in the general time-period, there's a fair chance you attended at least one party like the basement bash we see here. You knew people like Richie or Carl or Cory. The film presents us with a number of memorable scenes: Claude freaking out in art class while staring at the works of Hieronymus Bosch, Cory dancing to Cheap Trick while waving around a stolen handgun. We start to know these kids, though, and we come to understand them, even if we cannot endorse their self-destructive, generally destructive behaviour.

Hoping to attract investors, the Chamber of Commerce and the law crack down on the kids, only to meet with disturbing levels of resistance.

The ending really does go over the edge, as the teens take revenge in a far-fetched sequence that never happened in Foster City or, possibly, anywhere else. As a metaphor it works. In an ostensibly realistic, documentary-like film, it amounts to jarring excess, accompanied as it is by a sudden outbreak of action movie physics. They don't ruin the film, but a little restraint would have produced more credible results.

The dust and excesses settle for the finale. The whole proves greater than the sum of its hormonally-charged, drug-addled parts, and Over the Edge earns its cinematic cult status.

The late-night AM soundtrack enhances the film. Given the frequent references to Kiss, one suspects the filmmakers had hoped to include their music. Really, we should at least hear something from Alive! or Destroyer. In reality, the masqueraders had not yet imploded, and their songs likely would have been out of range of the movie's small budget. But we get a lot of Cheap Trick, essential listening for late 70s dirtbags, and The Ramones's too-perfect "Teenage Lobotomy." Richard Hell and the Pistols are MIA, but kudos to someone for licensing The Cars and Van Halen minutes before they became bona fide stars. There's one song by Hendrix, dead nearly a decade but still very much a part of the era's teen culture. Rounding it out we have Little Feat's "All That You Dream" and Valerie Carter's cover of "Ooh Child."

If you like the era or the issues or you want to have kids, you should probably seek out this movie.

Cast and Crew<

Director: Jonathan Kaplan
Writers: Charles S. Haas, Tim Hunter

Michael Eric Kramer as Carl Willat
Pamela Ludwig as Cory
Matt Dillon as Richie
Vincent Spano as Mark
Tom Fergus as Claude
Harry Northup as Officer Doberman
Andy Romano as Fred Willat
Ellen Geer as Sandra Willat
Richard Jamison as Cole
Julia Pomeroy as Julia
Tiger Thompson as Johnny
Eric Lalich as Tip
Kim Kliner as Abby
Frank Mugavero as Party Host Kid
Kristina Hanson as Lisa
Diane Reilly as Marcy
Jeff Fleury as Outlaw
Lane Smith as Sloan
Bill Whedbee as Johnson
Molly McCarthy as Principal
Brian Parker as Alan
Irene Lalich as Tip's Mother
Laura Brew-Sluder as Richie's Mom
James William Newport as Cory's Dad

Bonus Seventies Movie Check-list: Over the Edge


Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.