Op"po*site (?), a. [F., fr. L. oppositus, p. p. of opponere. See Opponent.]

1.

Placed over against; standing or situated over against or in front; facing; -- often with to; as, a house opposite to the Exchange.

2.

Applied to the other of two things which are entirely different; other; as, the opposite sex; the opposite extreme.

3.

Extremely different; inconsistent; contrary; repugnant; antagonistic.

Novels, by which the reader is misled into another sort of pieasure opposite to that which is designed in an epic poem. Dryden.

Particles of speech have divers, and sometimes almost opposite, significations. Locke.

4. Bot. (a)

Set over against each other, but separated by the whole diameter of the stem, as two leaves at the same node.

(b)

Placed directly in front of another part or organ, as a stamen which stands before a petal.

 

© Webster 1913.


Op"po*site, n.

1.

One who opposes; an opponent; an antagonist.

[Obs.]

The opposites of this day's strife. Shak.

2.

That which is opposed or contrary; as, sweetness and its opposite.

The virtuous man meets with more opposites and opponents than any other. Landor.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.