Nick Cave is an artist originaly from Australia, who leads the musical group Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds.

Never able to be catagorized, most of his music gets tossed in the 'alternative' bin in the US, whereas his popularity is much greater in Europe and in Oz.

The Bad Seeds have consisted of a variety of musicians, though Mick Harvey, Blixa Bargeld of (Einstruzende Neubauten fame) and Thomas Widler have made the core of the group.

Nicholas Edward Cave was born in Warracknabeal, Victoria, Australia on September 22, 1957. He is the third of four children (three boys and a girl) of Anglican parents. He went to school to Melbourne where his first band, The Boys Next Door, was formed with Mick Harvey, Tracey Pew and Phil Calvert in 1977. Rowland S. Howard joined the band later on. The band moved to London in 1979 and changed its name to "The Birthday Party". After a couple of albums The Birthday Party split up for good in 1983. The next year Nick recorded and released Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' first album, From Her to Eternity.

He has two kids: a son in Australia named Jethro and a son named Luke, whom he had with Brazillian model(?) Viviane Carneiro. The two broke up and in 1999 Nick married Susie Bick. In between Viviane and Susie, Nick was said to be seeing PJ Harvey.

Nick Cave had well-documented heroin addiction.

In addition to his musical exploits, Nick Cave is also the author of two books of poetry (well, lyrics mostly), King Ink (1988) and King Ink II (1997), and the novel And the Ass Saw the Angel (1989).

The definitive biography of Nick Cave is probably Ian Johnston's book, Bad Seed (1997). Unfortunately it's not published in the US.

A couple of years ago, I had tickets to see Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at the Warfield in San Francisco, but the day of the show I dislocated my toe playing soccer so I missed it. I'm still very sad about that.

My two favorite Nick Cave albums are The Good Son (1990) and The Boatman's Call (1997).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.