Some classic examples of neurotics are Franz Kafka, Todd Solondz, Woody Allen, Lucian Freud, and Marcel Proust.
Neurosis is pure symptom with no disease to anchor it.

The neurotic treats the symptom of his or her troubles, but always in a largely erroneous way. For instance, a girl stuffs her face with food after a flashback of childhood sexual abuse, or a man impulsively washes his hands after thinking about another woman.

The sickness remains indefinable, intangible, and unspecified; it is purely a persistent feeling of disquiet. Accordingly, the neurotic is in a condition of constantly tending to the symptoms of an unknown, and worse, unknowable malady.

Neu*rot"ic (?), a. [Gr. nerve.]

1.

Of or pertaining to the nerves; seated in the nerves; nervous; as, a neurotic disease.

2.

Uself in disorders of, or affecting, the nerves.

 

© Webster 1913.


Neu*rot"ic, n.

1.

A disease seated in the nerves.

2. Med.

Any toxic agent whose action is mainly directed to the great nerve centers.

Neurotic as a class include all those poisons whose mains action is upon the brain and spinal cord. They may be divided three orders: (a) Cerebral neurotics, or those which affect the brain only. (b) Spinal neurotics, or tetanics, those which affect the spinal cord. (c) Cerebro-spinal neurotics, or those which affect both brain and spinal cord.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.