The stinging nettle has always been highly regarded for its health promoting properties. In some regions of rural England
nettles were used to make a non-alcoholic beer
, similar in characteristics to ginger beer
- Boil the water, nettles, lemons and ginger for about 40 minutes.
- Strain and stir in the sugar until dissolved.
- When cool stir a little of the above with the yeast until it forms a cream and return to the pot. Mix well.
- Decant into strong screw-capped bottles, tighten the caps and leave in a cool place for a few days to ferment. If the bottles are not strong enough the glass is liable to break.
- Refrigerate before opening. Open with caution - the pressure build-up may be such that the beer will erupt with some force!