Neck pain can have many causes. Spending too much time in front of an computer or workbench can do it, and the pain can usually be fixed without much medical care.

Neck pain may originate from any neck structure, ranging from the meninges and cervical vertebrae to blood vessels, muscles.

Here are some easy exercises for us geeks who spend the most of our days and lives in front of a computer monitor (effective to do while waiting for your writeup to appear on the new writeups list):

  • Hold your head upright, use the palm of one hand against your forehead and press your head forward, resisting with your palm. Hold for about 10 seconds. Then clasp your hands behind your head and press your head backward, resisting with your hands. Hold for about 10 seconds. Repeat.
  • Relax your shoulders and let your head roll forward, chin to chest. Rotate your head very slowly in a circle Repeat a few times. Relax, and rotate in the opposite direction and repeat again. Try not to raise your shoulders as you do this exercise.
  • If your neck hurts when you wake up try to sleep on a firm surface without a pillow.
  • Warmth may be useful in relieving pain. Heat may be applied with showers for example.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.