A way to order alcohol. If you ask for whiskey or gin this way -
"neat"

it will come to you in a glass with nothing else.
No ice, no chaser, no little paper umbrella, only the alcohol.

This is the only sane way to drink brandy.

natch.

When referring to chemicals, neat means a full-concentration, undiluted state. Neat chemical is rarely used directly in a process, and is almost always diluted first, usually with water.

The advantage to buying neat chemical is a huge savings in shipping and storage costs. For example, a 0.5% concentration of flocculent might be needed for a setting tank application. Shipping the diluted chemical would use 200 times as much space as the neat chemical! Since water is conveniently piped right into our homes and businesses by the city and is available on demand, it would be much more convenient to store the neat chemical and dilute it as needed.

Typically, neat chemical is used in such small amounts that it is very difficult to meter it into a process accurately. Neat chemical might also be highly caustic, or difficult to dissolve into the process, or require special handling, or have other problems. In other words, it is usually easier to work with in a diluted state.

Dilution is often achieved with a mixing tank that adds a small amount of neat chemical from the storage tote to a large amount of water, and may have an agitator to perform the mixing. When the mixing tank begins to run low, more water and neat chemical are added. A large storage tote might be good for dozens or even hundreds of batches of diluted chemical.

† a chemical that helps to pull small, light particles in a colloidal suspension together to form large, heavy clumps so that they precipitate to the bottom.

Neat (?), n. sing. & pl. [AS. ne�xa0;t; akin to OHG. nz, Icel. naut, Sw. not, Dan. nod, and to AS. neotan to make use of, G. geniessen, Goth. niutan to have a share in, have joy of, Lith. nauda use, profit.] Zool.

Cattle of the genus Bos, as distinguished from horses, sheep, and goats; an animal of the genus Bos; as, a neat's tongue; a neat's foot.

Chaucer.

Wherein the herds[men] were keeping of their neat. Spenser.

The steer, the heifer, and the calf Are all called neat. Shak.

A neat and a sheep of his own. Tusser.

Neat's-foot, an oil obtained by boiling the feet of neat cattle. It is used to render leather soft and pliable.

 

© Webster 1913.


Neat, a. [See neat, n.]

Of or pertaining to the genus Bos, or to cattle of that genus; as, neat cattle.

 

© Webster 1913.


Neat, a. [Compar. Neater (?); superl. Neatest.] [OE. nett, F. nett, fr. L. nitidus, fr. nitere to shine. Cf. Nitid, Net, a., Natty.]

1.

Free from that which soils, defiles, or disorders; clean; cleanly; tidy.

If you were to see her, you would wonder what poor body it was that was so surprisingly neat and clean. Law.

2.

Free from what is unbecoming, inappropriate, or tawdry; simple and becoming; pleasing with simplicity; tasteful; chaste; as, a neat style; a neat dress.

3.

Free from admixture or adulteration; good of its kind; as, neat brandy.

"Our old wine neat."

Chapman.

4.

Excellent in character, skill, or performance, etc.; nice; finished; adroit; as, a neat design; a neat thief.

5.

With all deductions or allowances made; net. [In this sense usually written net. See Net, a., 3.]

neat line Civil Engin., a line to which work is to be built or formed. -- Neat work, work built or formed to neat lines.

Syn. -- Nice; pure; cleanly; tidy; trim; spruce.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.