A short period of (hopefully regenerative) sleep. Some people are fans of the power nap, others the siesta. All are best in a napatorium.

Napping is an art form meant to be perfected by humans, there are many differnt types of naps, according to my book (The ultimate nap book "Change Your Life Without Getting out of Bed") on napping they are:

Not only does this book give us many great ways to nap, it also give us a list of things we can do to enhance our napping, including the great piece of advise "Nap without guilt".

Some Quotes:

"Naps fluff us up and make us more kind."
"My Life is one long nap, punctuated by brief moments of activity."
"We replenish and repair during naps."
"Napping softens all the edges and smoothes the shredded places."
"Rest adds strength to our souls."
"As adults, we still need these nap times. We need tender places in which to repair our souls and put special glue on the broken places."

Network Access Point. A place (usually in a city or at a large ISP) where trunk lines are routed and split into smaller pipes.

In Scotland, esp Glasgow the nap is the bet that a gambler makes that is his favourite for the day. Other small bets will be placed during the day but the majority of the money being bet will be put on the nap.
This applies to bets on the horses and the dogs mostly.

The little loops which develop in black people's hair if they don't comb/brush it. Generally not considered attractive, However, this characteristic of hair can be utilized to implement hair styles such as dredlocks.

Nap (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Napped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Napping (?).] [OE. nappen, AS. hnæppian to take a nap, to slumber; cf. AS. hnipian to bend one's self, Icel. hnipna, hnIpa, to droop.]

1.

To have a short sleep; to be drowsy; to doze. Chaucer.

2.

To be in a careless, secure state. Wyclif.

I took thee napping, unprepared.
Hudibras.

 

© Webster 1913


Nap, n.

A short sleep; a doze; a siesta. Cowper.

 

© Webster 1913


Nap, n. [OE. noppe, AS. hnoppa; akin to D. nop, Dan. noppe, LG. nobbe.]

1.

Woolly or villous surface of felt, cloth, plants, etc.; an external covering of down, of short fine hairs or fibers forming part of the substance of anything, and lying smoothly in one direction; the pile; -- as, the nap of cotton flannel or of broadcloth.

2. pl.

The loops which are cut to make the pile, in velvet. Knight.

 

© Webster 1913


Nap, v. t.

To raise, or put, a nap on.

 

© Webster 1913


Nap (?), n.

Same as Napoleon, 1, below.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.