"In the era of point-and-shoot cameras, with lenses focused by computerchip electronics, the notion of using a handmade camera with a pinhole instead of a lens appears to be at least curiously anachronistic if not perversly eccentric."

-John Upton
Photographic historian

Multiple Image Pinhole Camera

If you feel daring, multiple image pinhole cameras possess the ability to create interesting images by allowing you to record many images on the same sheet of photographic paper or ortho litho film. The images do not have to overlap unless that is your desired effect. To get started you will need a long tube with a cap. The tube length should be between 20 and 30 inches with a diameter around 4 inches. Mailing tubes sold at stationary stores will generally be adequate.

Begin by painting the inside of the tube with a matte black paint. Then on the face of the tube measure out 2 to 3 inch intervals for the space between pinholes. So if your tube is 20 inches long and you use 2 inch intervals you will have 10 holes. It is important to make sure the pinholes are similar in size. After poking the holes, cover them with some sort of opaque tape --- black electrical tape works well.

Your camera is now functional. Next you must load your photographic material. Be sure you have cut your paper or film the same length as the tube. I advise against using a tube longer than 20 inches because paper that length is hard to come by. The width of the paper should be about half the diameter of the tube. So if your tube is 20 x 4 your paper will be 20 x 2.

You are now ready to photograph. You can manipulate each hole seperately and record the same image, record sequences, or record completely different images by moving the camera for each individual pinhole exposure. The possibilities are endless.

If you are feeling wild and crazy you might be itching to try some other camera body materials like these:

Variations, not for the timid at heart:

Try crumpling or bending the photographic paper and then exposing it in the camera. You may also want to try an underwater pinhole camera that can be made from a light-proof, water tight jar.

Pinhole photographers of interest include:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.