Yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far here in Central Ohio. It was also the end of a three day weekend during which I had plenty of time on my hands to take care of those pesky household chores but me, being the perennial procrastinator, decided to put off my mulching duties off until yesterday.

What can I say that hasn’t already been said?.

After lounging on the couch for hours watching umpteen re-runs of a Criminal Minds marathon it was time to drag my ass to the local grocery store and procure some bags of black mulch to spread out over my little garden. So far, the garden includes radishes, a couple of types of tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers and string beans as well as an ever expanding swath of weeds and other assorted unwanted visitors such as crabgrass. The battle to control the outsiders had just begun – game on.

After loading up six bags of the black mixture I was already coated in sweat. It was dripping in my eyes and I had to constantly wipe my face in order to keep my eyes on the road. My rust bucket that I call a car hasn’t had air conditioning since I can remember and it was a chore just trying not to hit the other cars that were parked on the narrow streets that make up my little neighborhood. After negotiating the maze I finally parked in my backyard and proceeded to unload the ammunition in preparation for my assault. But first, a cold beer was in order. I think I drained that Miller High Life in record time.

Roughly two hours later I was a sweaty stinking wreck of a human being. My back hurt, my knees ached and my fingers felt like they were stuck in some kind of claw like vice. Trying to spread that shit with the dexterity of a surgeon to my already growing plants was a real pain in the ass. After all, I didn’t want to kill what was already growing and my intent was just to cover the weeds with a two or three inch layer and smother the shit out of them.(Note to self, mulch before planting next year). The garden was finally done and all I needed now was a cold shower and another couple of beers to restore me to normalcy.

Mission Accomplished

I awoke this morning still a little bit stiff and sore and readied myself for yet another day at the office. I groaned when I saw that I had 175 unread e-mails to plow through and began to scan my way down the list. A familiar name jumped out on the list and I decided to open that one first. It was from a person I now consider friend even though it took me long time to recognize and appreciate his talents.

The e-mail revealed some health issues that he is currently undergoing and it seemed to put my little aches and pains in perspective. They pale in comparison to what he must be experiencing and my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

So my friend, I hope you don’t mind me saying this. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery and may you be out in the garden again soon doing what you’ve always done. It’s a much needed service.

On a side note, here in Ohio it supposed to be hotter than shit again. The temperatures are supposed to be somewhere in the low 90’s and the humidity is way up there. I think there’s one of those air quality index alerts out there warning people with certain health issues to stay indoors and limit their physical activities.

As for me, after work I’m gonna go home, cut the fuckin’ grass and count my blessings.

We all should.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.