In videogame RPGs with "teambuilding" as a customisation method for combat, it is important to structure one's team of characters (who may be depicted as talented human friends of the protagonist, such as in Bravely Default, or powerful monstrous pets, such as in Pokémon) in such a way that their capabilities support each other in and out of combat. If one teammate has, for example, a weakness to enemy attacks that use lightning bolts, then it is a good idea to have another teammate who easily survives lightning. Likewise, if no other teammate has the ability to effectively take down lightning-using threats, then someone on the team needs to have "coverage moves" against lightning - an offensive combat option that does greater damage against lightning-users.

A teammate may also play a defensive support role by using moves which "nerf" (power down) the opponent by lowering the opponent's combat statistics, such as their magic strength, their resistance to magical damage, or their movement speed. A support character can also "buff" (power up) their allies by raising the corresponding stats, or they may use moves which heal damage suffered by allies. Additionally, some moves may inflict status effects like sleep or paralysis on the enemy, render the team immune to such effects, or prepare circumstances such as weather effects, in such a way that allies are able to inflict more severe damage when they take their turn in combat.

The total list of offensive attacks, nerfs, buffs, healing moves, status attacks, weather and other setup moves, which are potentially at an RPG character's disposal, is called their movepool. Normally a character will not have access to their entire movepool from the beginning of the game, but will instead need to "level up" by gaining combat experience, eventually learning more moves.

There is usually also a limit on how many moves a character can have prepared for use, or remembered and thus ready to use, at any given moment. Pokémon, for example, can only know up to four moves at a time. The current list of moves a character has prepared for use is called their moveset. Metagamer discussion websites like Smogon make a recreational activity out of studying all the possible movesets a character might have, and determining which have the highest utility in the greatest possible number of scenarios, while not being so obvious that they make the player predictable against other players, when battling each other over multiplayer game formats.

Notably, movesets which are ideal for multiplayer purposes are rarely ideal for singleplayer gameplay and completion of the story in an RPG. The AI opponents on the game are inevitably less devious and familiar with the metagame, than human players are, so it is often easier to get through a game using strictly offensive attacks, and not bothering with defensive, healing, or status moves, which bring more complexity into the battle experience. This means that a player's team which they used to complete the story will rarely be the same team as the one they use for competitive multiplayer battles against human opponents.

Iron Noder 2019, 24/30

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.