In Unix-like operating systems, to make a filesystem available for access by attaching a named filesystem to the filesystem hierarchy at the directory specified (the mount point). The root filesystem is mounted on the root directory, "/" early in the boot sequence.

Filesystems are mounted either at boot, on demand by an automounter daemon, or by the user.

Other operating systems, such as VMS and DOS, mount filesystems as separate directory without any common ancestor or root directory.

Usually, the usage of the command is as follows:

mount [-t fstype] <device> <mount point>

mount: together with thrusting, the penovaginal part of sexual intercourse. In human beings, either sex may get in position to mount the other, whereas in most other animals, the female presents, and the male mounts. See also coitus; copulate; copulation; intercourse.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

Mount (mount), n. [OE. munt, mont, mount, AS. munt, fr. L. mons, montis; cf. L. minae protections, E. eminent, menace: cf. F. mont. Cf. Mount, v., Mountain, Mont, Monte, Montem.]

1.

A mass of earth, or earth and rock, rising considerably above the common surface of the surrounding land; a mountain; a high hill; -- used always instead of mountain, when put before a proper name; as, Mount Washington; otherwise, chiefly in poetry.

2.

A bulwark for offense or defense; a mound. [Obs.]

Hew ye down trees, and cast a mount against Jerusalem.
Jer. vi. 6.

3. [See Mont de piété.]

A bank; a fund.

Mount of piety. See Mont de piété.

 

© Webster 1913


Mount, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Mounted (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Mounting.] [OE. mounten, monten, F. monter, fr. L. mons, montis, mountain. See Mount, n. (above).]

1.

To rise on high; to go up; to be upraised or uplifted; to tower aloft; to ascend; -- often with up.

Though Babylon should mount up to heaven.
Jer. li. 53.

The fire of trees and houses mounts on high.
Cowley.

2.

To get up on anything, as a platform or scaffold; especially, to seat one's self on a horse for riding.

3.

To attain in value; to amount.

Bring then these blessings to a strict account,
Make fair deductions, see to what they mount.
Pope.

 

© Webster 1913


Mount, v. t.

1.

To get upon; to ascend; to climb.

Shall we mount again the rural throne?
Dryden.

2.

To place one's self on, as a horse or other animal, or anything that one sits upon; to bestride.

3.

To cause to mount; to put on horseback; to furnish with animals for riding; to furnish with horses. "To mount the Trojan troop." Dryden.

4.

Hence: To put upon anything that sustains and fits for use, as a gun on a carriage, a map or picture on cloth or paper; to prepare for being worn or otherwise used, as a diamond by setting, or a sword blade by adding the hilt, scabbard, etc.

5.

To raise aloft; to lift on high.

What power is it which mounts my love so high?
Shak.

⇒ A fort or ship is said to mount cannon, when it has them arranged for use in or about it.

To mount guard (Mil.), to go on guard; to march on guard; to do duty as a guard. --
To mount a play, to prepare and arrange the scenery, furniture, etc., used in the play.

 

© Webster 1913


Mount, n. [From Mount, v.]

That upon which a person or thing is mounted, as:

(a)

A horse.

She had so good a seat and hand, she might be trusted with any mount.
G. Eliot.

(b)

The cardboard or cloth on which a drawing, photograph, or the like is mounted; a mounting.

 

© Webster 1913


Mount, n. (Palmistry)

Any one of seven fleshy prominences in the palm of the hand which are taken as significant of the influence of "planets," and called the mounts of Jupiter, Mars, Mercury, the Moon, Saturn, the Sun or Apollo, and Venus.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.