Morning pages are three pages of stream of consciousness longhand writing, done first thing in the morning upon waking. One of two basic tools for connecting with your creativity, according to Julia Cameron, in her book, The Artist's Way.

Adopting the practice means adhering to the daily process, and giving yourself permission to fill three pages, even if the three pages are filled with "I can't think of anything to write," says Cameron.

"These daily morning meanderings are not meant to be art. Or even writing... Pages are meant to be, simply, the act of moving the hand across the page and writing down whatever comes to mind.
Don't show the pages to anyone. You don't even have to read them yourself. You just have to do them. Cameron suggests that the morning pages are the primary tool of creative recovery because both the routine and the permission to write anything bypasses one's internalized Censor and allows the left brain to practice generating ideas without criticism. She recommends the practice for anyone interested in accessing their creativity, not just writers.

Cameron recommends committing to this practice forever (it works for her), or a minimum of twelve weeks.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.