Many people have experienced that most days of the week and most months "have a feeling". (Or perhaps it's only a few, and you aren't one of them. In which case this node must seem like hard nonsense. I apologize in advance.) Some of these (such as the ones of Thursday and March) almost certainly differs from person to person, but I have reason to believe that the feelings of, for instance, Monday and December are fairly constant throughout Western culture.

Last week, at the beginning of July, it occurred to me that the feelings of Saturday and July had an essence in common, in that they both brought with them the same sense of carefree leisure.

The more I thought about this, the more similar month/day comparisons I came up with. Of course, since there are 12 months in a year, and only 7 days in a week, a 1-1 mapping of the months and the days of the week is impossible. Some days are therefore similar to more than one month, and some months don't have a day.

January
Monday, no doubt. This is when work/school begins after 1 or more weeks of holiday.
February
Tuesday. Not only because it comes after January/Monday, but also because, in some ineffable sense, Monday/Tuesday and January/February form a kind of cold and harsh pairs at the beginnings of their respective entities.
June
This month is like Friday, since school ends and the summer holiday starts around the middle of the month.
July
This is the month that is the most like Saturday, in that people who are in school most often have the entire month off, and people who are working also have most of their holiday in this month.
August
The Great Sunday. This is another one of those lazy summer months, but with the foreboding shadow of school, which is now imminent. Some schools start in August, others in September, but in any case, August stands in stark contrast to the worriless July, much the same as Saturday contrasts with Sunday.
December
This month feels Saturday-ish, as it to a large degree is coloured by Christmas and New Year, and the preparations thereof. Other mid-winter festivals may instill similar feelings in the reader.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.