Commonly used abbreviation for monophonic, meaning only one channel or "track" of sound. Contrast with stereo and stereophonic.

Also

As mentioned above, an abbreviation for the highly infectious but non-lethal disease mononucleosis, also known as "the kissing disease." It is a myth that one can only catch mono by kissing, as it is also transmitted by sharing utensils (things like cups, forks, and the food they touch) with an infected person. It will indeed knock its victim flat on his or her ass, sometimes for months at a time. It will, too, make its victims wish they were dead.

The name of a county and lake in the eastern portion of California. Mono County contains Mono Lake, Mammoth, Lee Vining, and on the west abuts Yosemite National Park. 'Mono' apparently was a word for 'fly eater' which was the name one Native American tribe apparently had in the area. They subsided in part by eating the alkili fly larvae from Mono Lake (which feed on relatively sanitarylake algae, not shit). These larvae actually taste a bit like salty bacon. Despite sharing its name with a rather unpleasat disease, Mono County is still a pretty cool place.

When People Say, "I Have Got Mono," What Do They Mean?

"Mono," is the common name for Mononucleosis which is also sometimes referred to as glandular fever. Mononucleosis is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus and its symptoms include fever, a sore throat, white patches at the back of the throat, swollen glands (especially in the neck and armpits), a swollen spleen, coughing, and loss of appitite. However, Mononucleosis is famous for giving people incredible fatigue.

A co-worker of mine has told me that he got mono in college, and has never felt quite the same since. In a normal case, however, mono is supposed to clear itself up from 2 weeks to 3 months.

Ximian's open source implementation of Microsoft's .NET platform and C# language. Ximian is now owned by Novell.

Mono (Spanish for "monkey") is a highly ambitious project, with a lot of work done by just one person (Miguel de Icaza, a GNOME legend) - the fact that they have gone so far in such a short time is very remarkable!

Mono includes a virtual machine for Common Language Infrastructure (CLI), a class library, and a C# compiler.

The virtual machine includes everything needed to run the CLI bytecodes, including a class loader, JIT compiler (works fine in Linux), and garbage collector.

The C# compiler works already pretty well. It is remarkable for two things: First, it's written in C# (being thus first of its kind, and an interesting academic experiment...), and it's already able to compile itself. This means it's going to Rule.

The class library is not yet that complete, however, and apparently not yet complete enough for anything totally serious. Particularly missing is the Windows.Forms class hierarchy (well, that's not technically part of the language specification, either, but it's still vital, as anyone can imagine), but there already is a wrapper for GTK+ called Gtk# that makes it possible to write GUI apps in C# that run under Linux (but not yet under Windows).

All in all, the project is very interesting, even when the platform itself is not that interesting to the open source folks in general. Yet again, it seems, Microsoft has "let go" an open technology that is likely to go out of their hands if the open source world is doing their job well enough!

Home page: http://www.go-mono.com/

A mono is a type of roof truss. The shape of the mono is basically a common truss that has been cut in half. Many monos of shorter length consist solely of a bottom chord and a top chord and have no webs or uprights whatsoever. Longer monos tend to include uprights and webs to distribute weight away from the heel joint, making the truss more stable.

In general, a mono is not expected to support much weight. Therefore, they employ smaller plates and are made of lower grade lumber than larger, more supportive trusses.

I have never seen a mono that was too large for a single person to build alone easily. Theoretically, they could exist, but that would have to be in excess of twenty feet long, which I can't imagine as a mono.

I think I should try to give you a better idea of what a mono will look like. If you read my writeup on trusses, you should be able to imagine a bottom chord and top chord doing their thing. Remember that a mono has only one top chord. The shorter ones will terminate here.
Longer ones, however will have webs. There will be an upright at the very end (point farthest from the heel) of the bottom chord, meeting the top chord at its highest point.

Even longer ones will have the same upright at the end and also an upright closer to the heel, around two feet from it. Then, a web will connect the two uprights, reaching from the top of one to the bottom of the other, depending where the truss is in the roof and how much weight it will be supporting.

As the monos get longer, the pattern generally continues, upright, web, upright, web, around every two feet. Some of the longer monos have a gable structure with only uprights.

On a more subjective note, monos are my second favorite truss to build. If you get a buddy to help you out, it's pretty fun. You'll usually have a lot of monos to build, so it takes a little while to do and they're darned easy to build.

Mo"no (?), n. [Sp.] Zool.

The black howler of Central America (Mycetes villosus).

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.