Mis"sion (?), n. [L. missio, fr. mittere, missum, to send: cf. F. mission. See Missile.]

1.

The act of sending, or the state of being sent; a being sent or delegated by authority, with certain powers for transacting business; comission.

Whose glorious deeds, but in these fields of late, Made emulous missions' mongst the gods themselves. Shak.

2.

That with which a messenger or agent is charged; an errand; business or duty on which one is sent; a commission.

How to begin, how to accomplish best His end of being on earth, and mission high. Milton.

3.

Persons sent; any number of persons appointed to perform any service; a delegation; an embassy.

In these ships there should be a mission of three of the fellows or brethren of Solomon's house. Bacon.

4.

An assotiation or organization of missionaries; a station or residence of missionaries.

5.

An organization for worship and work, dependent on one or more churches.

6.

A course of extraordinary sermons and services at a particular place and time for the special purpose of quickening the faith and zeal participants, and of converting unbelievers.

Addis & Arnold.

7.

Dismission; discharge from service.

[Obs.]

Mission school. (a) A school connected with a mission and conducted by missionaries. (b) A school for the religious instruction of children not having regular church privileges.

Syn. -- Message; errand; commission; deputation.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mis"sion (?), v. t.

To send on a mission.

[Mostly used in the form of the past participle.]

Keats.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.