Carry me Caravan take me away
Take me to Portugal, take me to Spain
Andalusia with fields full of grain
I have to see you again and again
Take me, Spanish Caravan
Yes, I know you can

Trade winds find Galleons lost in the sea
I know where treasure is waiting for me
Silver and gold in the mountains of Spain
I have to see you again and again
Take me, Spanish Caravan
Yes, I know you can

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/doors/#share
--- The Doors, "Spanish Caravan"

Dear España,
How I sorely miss your Camino de Santiago. Days spent wandering along well-traveled ancient trails and beside efficient modern highways. I saw your cities, farms and pueblas in between. An elderly pimp near Santiago showed off his expert propositioning skills - “Tiene planes por este noche? Como esta su salud? Tiene BUEN salud de tu cuerpo?”
“No, gracias. Estoy TODO bien, y mi cuerpo tambien! Dejeme en paz!”
Leaving each albergue before the sun rose, I saw your gentle sun warm the fields and cities early mornings before they woke. Farmers in their fields had beaten me to the earliest rising and met me while driving rumbling antique tractors. The search for the next flecha amarilla led me to Santiago, which was everything I hoped it would be.

Oh my my, how I miss your cheese. Spain really knows their cheese. In cube refrigerators in each albergue, i would expect to find leftover tetilla, manchego or garroxta, all waiting there after less thrifty peregrinos bought much more than they could carry along their way the next morning.

Oh my my, how I miss your airports and friendly customer service. Iberia Air didn't hesitate long to reschedule my departure date when I reached Santiago a week earlier than planned.

Oh my my, how I miss your Camino.

Oh my my, how I miss your refugios. You have everything I need. A shower, bed, laundry and kitchen are really the most i can hope for in housing. For less than 5 euros a night, you provide all of them and sometimes more. Simple space for other travelers invites storytelling in the long afternoons. Sure there are some snorers, but the bunks are packed tightly enough to reach over for a friendly jab to stop the nocturnal noise.
fiestas --- sure, there are street festivals andfarmers markets here in the USA, but they don't shut down the entire town for a day of rest and lack the same festive feeling.

Oh my my, how I miss your open plazas, cathedrals and castles.

Oh my my, how I miss your Ayunamientos. You are guaranteed to have a sello available and probably know where the best albergues and tiendas are. You might also provide free internet and an art exhibit. You are a one stop shop for local government. Around the world, if you want to get something done rapidly, ask the busiest person.

Oh my my, how I miss your fiestas. Sure, there are street festivals and farmers markets here in the USA, but they don't shut down the entire town for a day of rest and lack the same festive feeling.

Oh my my, how I miss your Euros. The faces of your Euro coins bear miniature icons of the Obradoiro façade of the Cathedral of Santiago, Miguel de Cervantes and King Juan Carlos I. Your tastefully colored bills are decorated with bridges. Meeting Abe or George on my way just doesn't feel the same.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.