There are five roller coasters with the name Mind Eraser, all steel coasters produced by Vekoma. Four of them are identical, and the last is one of Vekoma's "cookie cutter" designs.

The first of the identical Mind Erasers opened at Six Flags America on 20 May 1995. The fourth produced in Vekoma's "Suspended Looping Coaster" line, it is inverted and features five inversions: a cobra roll (which contains two of the inversions), a twist loop, and two heartline flips. As the biggest new attraction, it was placed at what was then the back of the park. The track is 2,170 feet long and 115 feeth high; the greatest drop is 95 feet and the ride's top speed is 55mph. Each of the two trains has eight cars, and can hold a total of 32 riders. Because the ride takes just two minutes and five seconds, riders are usually left in the brakes while the next train finishes loading. The track itself is red and the supports are blue.

By 1997, the SLC had proven a hit design for Vekoma. Their tenth, eleventh, and twelfth SLC coasters were installed at Six Flags Elitch Gardens, Six Flags Darien Lake, and Six Flags New England. The SFDL edition of the Mind Eraser opened first, on 17 May 1997, at a cost of $8.5 million. One week later, on 24 May, the Mind Eraser at SFNE opened after costing $10 million. The Mind Eraser at Elitch Gardens was also $10 million, and opened on 2 June. All four of these Mind Erasers are identical, right down to the color scheme.

The one "anomaly" among Mind Erasers is still a standard Vekoma ride. Located at Six Flags World of Adventure, it was the 25th Boomerang installed and opened in 1996. The track is 875 feet long and 125 feet high; as on all Vekoma boomerangs there are three inversions and it reaches a top speed of 48mph. The ride takes one minute and forty-eight seconds, and this Mind Eraser - which has blue track with white supports - can process 750 riders per hour.

Many sources disagree about the exact way to make a Mind Eraser, but they all agree on this:

Variations
The soda can be either a lemon-lime soda such as Sprite or 7-Up, or plain seltzer.
Serve either in an old-fashioned glass filled with ice, or a shot glass (clearly, no ice).

Construction
Pour the Kahlua in first, then carefully add the vodka and top off with the soda. If you do this correctly, there will be three layers in the glass. Serve with a straw, and drink all at once, so the Kahlua is ingested first and then "chased" by the vodka and soda.

While there is clearly much variation in what you will get if you ask for a "mind eraser" at a bar, there is One True Way to make a mind eraser such that it will deserve its name.

You will need:

Construction
Choose a container of at least 8 oz. Taller, skinnier glasses are more fun. Assuming it's been kept cold, pour a shot of Jägermeister into the bottom of each glass. (Nobody makes just one mind eraser, as no one should be doing them alone.) Stick a few straws into each glass, and then fill each glass with ice. Dump in a shot of vodka, and top off (i.e. fill the glass) with a light soda of your choice.
Consumption
If there are two drinkers, they should face eachother. More will probably need to arrange themselves in a line. Leave the glasses on the table, bend over, exhale, take the straws into your mouth, and on someone's mark, suck and swallow like you have never sucked before. Done right, you will taste nothing. Cry uncle and you might puke all over the table if you don't like licorice.

A note on the Jägermeister: Some people like to put the ice in first so the Jäger is chilled more by the ice. This tends to spread the taste of the spirit around more, which to other people is contrary to the idea behind the drink. However, if you haven't been chilling your Jägermeister, it is a good idea to add it after the ice. Try it both ways and stick with what you prefer.

A note on the vodka: it can be as shitty as you like. No need to waste your Absolut, Gray Goose, or Ketel One on this drink. Popov or anything else in a plastic jug will work just fine.

A note on the soda: while tradition clearly dictates the use of plain soda water, any light crisp soda will work fine. Red Bull is not a bad choice if you have trouble staying awake while drunk; just have a glass of water handy to wash it down.

The mind eraser, along with the irish car bomb, has become a favorite of noder gatherings.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.