As opposed to a standing army, a militia is a part of the organized armed forces of a country liable to call only in an emergency. Generally composed of common people, the militias of the thirteen colonies were the force that helped win the American Revolutionary War.

The common name for Canada's Army Reserve, dating way back to the times that Canada was a British colony.

The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and under 45 years of age, or under 64 years of age and former members of the Regular Army, Regular Navy, Regular Air Force, or Regular Marine Corps, who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

The classes of the militia are the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

-10 U.S.C. § 311, 32 U.S.C. § 313

Militia is also a low-budget, straight to video movie starring Dean Cain, Stacy Keach and Jennifer Beale. A Militia group is having plans on bombing Washington with an Anthrax missile. I'm not going to go into details about the movie plot here, but a few, very fun facts about this film are:

A large number of the action scenes are stolen directly from the movies Terminator 2 and Delta Force ! Not only that, the editing they did is crappy too, you can even see Arnold Schwarzenegger drive by in a van once... To liven up the movie a little they shot their own screnes to correlate with the ripped ones also...

This is definitely not a so-called "B" movie, it is a "C" movie! I haven't seen worse! The plot is diffuse, slow and jerky as hell, the film does by no means live up to the "100% Action" logo that is on the DVD case, and the scene-stealing is not only bad by itself, it's also very improfessionally done.


God only knows how many other movies they did rip off that I haven't seen. I might want to see this film once again, since it's so bad that it's good! It seems like the Director's strategy was to merge together as many good action movies as possible to make the ultimate action movie.


Militia is a horrible movie and I recommend you go see it.

Mi*li"tia (?), n. [L., military service, soldiery, fr. miles, militis, soldier: cf. F. milice.]

1.

In the widest sense, the whole military force of a nation, including both those engaged in military service as a business, and those competent and available for such service; specifically, the body of citizens enrolled for military instruction and discipline, but not subject to be called into actual service except in emergencies.

The king's captains and soldiers fight his battles, and yet... the power of the militia is he. Jer. Taylor.

2.

Military service; warfare.

[Obs.]

Baxter.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.