The angel fell on Fourth of July and got hit by a firework on its way down. That probably didn't help, but even if it hadn't gotten hit, it would've still landed off the corner of Market Street and Madrigal Lane. It made a sound like broken glass when it hit loud enough for the whole neighborhood to hear, but we all thought it was part of the firework show and didn't think anything of it. It wasn't until the day after that we noticed the pieces of it still lying in the street.

It looked like someone had dropped a marble statue, with part of it still identifiable as humanoid, but most of it in indeterminate chunks of material that felt like stone and looked sort of like glass, all piled in with a bunch of stray feathers. People who noticed sort of shrugged, a little sad, but that didn't stop them from scooping up parts of the fallen angel and putting it in their pockets as souvenirs to put on the shelf back home, or stop kids and superstitious old women from collecting as many feathers as they could to play with or grind into miracle powder.

By the end of the week, there was no sign that the angel had ever been there except for the cracks in the pavement.

237

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.